healed castration pictures please

Help Support CattleToday:

You may, but everyone isnt as careful or knowledgeable... Daughter bought a 3 package bull deal and one ended up being a Cryptorchidism... Hauled to the sale..He was registered too...
My question for this thread is if you can tell at weaning if the calf was cut or banded. Not on a table, not in a chute where you can manipulate it...But as the calf is spinning around in a sale ring. Or heck, just standing in the pasture like the pictures i posted.....BTW, many people here take lots of pictures here of this and that. Surely someone who cuts at a month or younger can get a picture....if not, i'll find a neighbor who cuts and post one myself..

I personally couldn't tell spinning around in a sale ring. I listen to the auctineer and what he tells me. I'm fairly certain I could tell out in the pasture. No nut pics here.

J&D Cattle":23jawage said:
I personally couldn't tell spinning around in a sale ring. I listen to the auctineer and what he tells me. I'm fairly certain I could tell out in the pasture. No nut pics here.
JD those order buyers see so many calves over time all it takes for them is a quick glance. In that glance they'll also analyse the entire calf from end to end and go back to talking if it's not what they want. All they hear from the auctioneer is "price". Most are a cocky bunch but they know their job.

TexasBred":3lg1bgjb said:
J&D Cattle":3lg1bgjb said:
JD those order buyers see so many calves over time all it takes for them is a quick glance. In that glance they'll also analyse the entire calf from end to end and go back to talking if it's not what they want. All they hear from the auctioneer is "price". Most are a cocky bunch but they know their job.

Yes, I've been impressed by several on occasion. They can be on the phone, spitting chew, talking to you, and still buying cattle.

If it can be proven that cut castration matters at the sale barn, i'm all about making money. Wouldnt be that hard to change over. If i have to i'll find a buyer and ask them in person..

cowgirl8":2448xaa8 said:
You may, but everyone isnt as careful or knowledgeable... Daughter bought a 3 package bull deal and one ended up being a Cryptorchidism... Hauled to the sale..He was registered too...
My question for this thread is if you can tell at weaning if the calf was cut or banded. Not on a table, not in a chute where you can manipulate it...But as the calf is spinning around in a sale ring. Or heck, just standing in the pasture like the pictures i posted.....BTW, many people here take lots of pictures here of this and that. Surely someone who cuts at a month or younger can get a picture....if not, i'll find a neighbor who cuts and post one myself..

cowgirl8, I never cut mine so I cannot provide a picture. I band my calves when they are under a month old. Right now I have a 4 month old bull calf that I am assessing. The UK extension agent was out last week and told me she would leave him until he is 8 months old and judge then whether he is good enough to stay a bull. He is a simangus 50/50. She said he has potential, very large bones and his sire is an excellent CE bull (Top Hand). His Dam is a PB Fat Butt. If I decide not to market him as a sire, I will probably not have him cut. I will send him to the stockyard as a bull.

cowgirl8":11y4ry9i said:
Here is the discussion where i was told many times you can tell and the buyers can tell when the calf runs through the ring and you'll get docked for banding..
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=90651&start=30
Now i'm told i'm suppose to take everyones word on what they say. I'm more of a prove it kind of person before i will believe. Been waiting all season to get someone to post a picture...Here's your chance....anyone anyone..
Why are you asking, baiting, that I go to the sale barn and do your homework for you?
Here is your chance to go to several sales, enter the ring with some steers and take some pictures. I have seen the little scar lines. You do not have to believe I have, your choice.
A perfect opportunity has arisen for you to go out and find the truth.
It is condescending to ask me to prove what I have seen. It is there for you to see as well.
Here is your chance to prove those little scars do not exist. Go to all the sale barns with in a days ride and ask them if you can get in the pens and take pictures of steer's empty scrotums in various stages of healing. Do exactly what you are telling others to do. Be sure to include the looks on the faces of the sale barn managers faces when you ask.

cowgirl8":2odp06kc said:
You may, but everyone isnt as careful or knowledgeable... Daughter bought a 3 package bull deal and one ended up being a Cryptorchidism... Hauled to the sale..He was registered too..
:shock: how could someone don't notice the bull was a cryptorchidism before he was brought? Should've had took the whole 3 package bull deal to the sale barn. It is highly hereditary. Happens more in horses and dogs than in cattle. Hope you don't bred that bull to your cows.

Taurus":2aop0psu said:
cowgirl8":2aop0psu said:
You may, but everyone isnt as careful or knowledgeable... Daughter bought a 3 package bull deal and one ended up being a Cryptorchidism... Hauled to the sale..He was registered too..
:shock: how could someone don't notice the bull was a cryptorchidism before he was brought? Should've had took the whole 3 package bull deal to the sale barn. It is highly hereditary. Happens more in horses and dogs than in cattle. Hope you don't bred that bull to your cows.
"Careful and knowledgeable".....then follows that up with an example of complete stupidity. That too must be hereditary. Taurus I think you guys are moving the class along way to fast. Why not back up and finish up defining "uniformity"...that was left sort of dangling and CG8 still had lots of questions. :???:

Tim/South":jlw6csai said:
cowgirl8":jlw6csai said:
Here is the discussion where i was told many times you can tell and the buyers can tell when the calf runs through the ring and you'll get docked for banding..
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=90651&start=30
Now i'm told i'm suppose to take everyones word on what they say. I'm more of a prove it kind of person before i will believe. Been waiting all season to get someone to post a picture...Here's your chance....anyone anyone..
Why are you asking, baiting, that I go to the sale barn and do your homework for you?
Here is your chance to go to several sales, enter the ring with some steers and take some pictures. I have seen the little scar lines. You do not have to believe I have, your choice.
A perfect opportunity has arisen for you to go out and find the truth.
It is condescending to ask me to prove what I have seen. It is there for you to see as well.
Here is your chance to prove those little scars do not exist. Go to all the sale barns with in a days ride and ask them if you can get in the pens and take pictures of steer's empty scrotums in various stages of healing. Do exactly what you are telling others to do. Be sure to include the looks on the faces of the sale barn managers faces when you ask.

+1 :clap:

Taurus":3lf5blk6 said:
cowgirl8":3lf5blk6 said:
Our daughter has her own herd. She bought a bull for breeding and 2 more weanling bulls at market price. She got them at a 3 package deal and the younger ones were a steal. Never intended on breeding the younger ones, she really went to buy the older one only and figured she'd make money off the other two after castrating and letting them grow a bit. When she went to castrate, thats when she noticed one had this condition.
Kind of funny that you'd be concerned about a bull calf having this since you can count on all the bulls being terminal..lol.....Get a cow who has 1 in 4 bull calves inheriting this condition wont matter in the least unless you're in the registered business......we are in the commercial business. AND, if we did decide to keep a bull, we would not breed a bull with one testicle.....doh...edited to add an extra derrrrrrrrr..lol

Well I hope you realized that its highly hereditary...and can passing it to the females and non-cyrp bulls as well. Or worse....that detect ends up in your favorite bull.

Taurus":1vxbdv0j said:
Well I hope you realized that its highly hereditary...and can passing it to the females and non-cyrp bulls as well. Or worse....that detect ends up in your favorite bull.
I'm the #1 end of the reproductive lives of our bull calves... ;-) ..they pass it on to no one.. Not our bulls anyway

Oh for sh.t's sake!!!!! :roll:

cowgirl8":3pgq12lb said:
I'm the #1 end of the reproductive lives of our bull calves... ;-) ..they pass it on to no one.. Not bulls anyway

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Infallible :clap:

I'm guessing no one can back up their claims that a steer who is banded will get docked at the sale barn, since the bashing has begun to turn the attention away from that to me thinking its all about me...lol..

cowgirl8":3is7caqn said:
I'm guessing no one can back up their claims that a steer who is banded will get docked at the sale barn, since the bashing has begun to turn the attention away from that to me thinking its all about me...lol..
A banded calf won't get docked over a cut one in east texas. Now days they will just be glad he got castrated before he made it to 500lbs. I go to quite a few sales and it amazes me how many I see still bulls.

B&M Farms":3obdsrno said:
cowgirl8":3obdsrno said:
A banded calf won't get docked over a cut one in east texas. Now days they will just be glad he got castrated before he made it to 500lbs. I go to quite a few sales and it amazes me how many I see still bulls.
I know a lot of people who dont bother cutting. They leave the bull on year round, they have big heifers running around, and every male calf is intact. They sell when they need the money...We left ours bulls one year because it wouldnt quit raining. Never got a chance to get them into the corrals, mud is a big problem here. That year it was very annoying to deal with all these bulls, but dang did they get big at weaning..So i could guess thats why some leave them bulls, size.

cowgirl8, why do you have a tendency to forget what you are arguing about after two or three postings have passed?
When Taurus brings it to your attention that you most likely have Cryptochidism in your herd, you make this remark:

Kind of funny that you'd be concerned about a bull calf having this since you can count on all the bulls being terminal..lol.....Get a cow who has 1 in 4 bull calves inheriting this condition wont matter in the least unless you're in the registered business......we are in the commercial business. AND, if we did decide to keep a bull, we would not breed a bull with one testicle.....doh...edited to add an extra derrrrrrrrr..lol

After all that you said in this thread, why would you make that statement?
Do you have a frozen Margarita machine?

Latest posts