Head gate, or squeeze chute needed

Help Support CattleToday:

There's been a lot of talk on this in the past. If you go to the top of the page and click on search,then type in something about buying a chute or headgate, it should find it for you. Sometimes have to try different search terms to narrow down to what you want. Hope this helps you. Good Luck. By the way-Welcome!

I'd just suck it up and buy the squeeze chute, not a head gate only. With a squeeze chute you have more access to the animal and the animal is confined so that working it is safer to you. I've seen the Priefert models and they're economical and perform well. My dad uses an older Powder River that works fine for him. My vet recommends Foremost. I'm using a homemade model I purchased for $500.00 a year ago. If I were going to buy a new model, I'd go with Priefert for the price and the quality.
J.T.

Bugaroo's Dad":2uo6yv9r said:
looking for a good used headgate or possibly a squeeze chute
can ya'll recommend a good brand and price and what to look out for ?
thanks !
Do like Chuck said and search....I dont come here as much as some of these folks but I remember a lot of talk about that same subject. Anyhow you didnt give enough information for anybody to answer your question.....you got 4 pet cows or 400 roughcountry snakes that never see a man on foot???? Probaly the pets.LOL

I would go with a Priefert head gate. I don't like the swinging headgate, it doesn't matter, W&W, Powder River or Formost. Most of thses manual swinging headgates can hiplock a cow. I have seen it happen and then have to cut the cow out. Priefert can open to a full 28 inches and never hiplock a cow. I think that it is funny that all the compines that have a hydrolic chute have the same style headgate that Priefert has.

twp":bl9l68o5 said:
I would go with a Priefert head gate. I don't like the swinging headgate, it doesn't matter, W&W, Powder River or Formost. Most of thses manual swinging headgates can hiplock a cow. I have seen it happen and then have to cut the cow out. Priefert can open to a full 28 inches and never hiplock a cow. I think that it is funny that all the compines that have a hydrolic chute have the same style headgate that Priefert has.

quite a few companies use Priefert head gates on their chutes and just paint them the color of their stuff.

I was up in Mt. Pleasant a couple weeks ago and saw the Priefert Manufacturing plant. Man, there were parking lots and parking lots plum full of squeeze chutes, head gates, swinging gates, panels as far as the eye could see, and every other piece of equipment that Priefert makes, in all different colors. This was a Saturday afternoon, and the place was hopping as though it was a regular weekday, there were employees everywhere. Business must really be good for them right now.

I heard/read somewhere that Priefert has a surplus / damaged goods sale a few times a year, but when I try and call them, all they do is keep sending me to voicemail hell and finally I gave up. Has anyone else heard of this sale?

Eric this is true. But they do not tell in advance when it will be. They usally anounce it the week they do it. It is all seconds an has no warranty. How you see it is how you get it. It is usally better if you are going to by a chute to do it through a dealer because they will warranty it.

thanks for all of the good info. looks like preifert is the one to get. A head gate will push the budget right now.
I have 4 cows, 5 calves, and a bull. Just sold the angus. All the cows walk up to me and eat from my hand but the momma of the twins.
next, is the automatic headgate the way to go or the manual ?
thanks again

Bugaroo's Dad":v5f2sc86 said:
is the automatic headgate the way to go or the manual ?
thanks again

If you have to ever work a cow by yourself the auto will be well worth the added cost.
The need for the auto came home to me again this week when we were working the cows and one just wouldn;t take that extra step because there was a stranger standing by the gate to catch her. I had cranked her tail so hard that I'm surprised she can still use it. I went around and set the auto catch and by the time I had walked back to crank her tail she had already walked in and got caught.
She's a cow that we have only had for a week and isn;t used to our set up since she had never been through the alley before, plus a stranger that she had never seen before standing there made her a little leery. Frequently when I AI I'm the only one here and getting a cow caught without a lot of fuss sure makes things go smoother.

dun

I pefer the manual one myself. Even when working alone. I dont like adjusting the auto. If you try to "get by" without adjusting your asking for a hiplock. I run a rope around the back to a plank that swing into them to move them forward if working alone.

Bama":2dxpns1y said:
I pefer the manual one myself. Even when working alone. I dont like adjusting the auto. If you try to "get by" without adjusting your asking for a hiplock. I run a rope around the back to a plank that swing into them to move them forward if working alone.

The beauty of the Priefert is that it works manually exactly like their manual only. Setting it doesn;t take much longer then just opening the gate in the first place.

dun

Thanks TWP....how do they announce it? Local newspaper, email, reg mail, any idea how to be put on list to be notified? You're probably right about the dealer support / warranty on squeeze chute, unless it's like 1/2 price or something. I heard they have scratch and dent sales that are too much of a nuisence to repair so they mark them down 15%--20%. Thought it might be a chance to pick up some panels at a decent price.

We used a manual head catch for years running about 50 head. The only problem I ever had was catching the 2000 pound hereford bull. His neck is so big I had to hang on the lever to keep him in it. Now that I have more experience (much older) I got a WW brand squeeze with auto catch. I got it used and cleaned it up an painted it to preserve it. I really like it but, for a budget and the number of cows you are talking about the head catch should get you by. Use it and keep you eyes open for a deal on a used squeeze is my advice.

dun":2z1pjw91 said:
Bugaroo's Dad":2z1pjw91 said:
is the automatic headgate the way to go or the manual ?
thanks again

If you have to ever work a cow by yourself the auto will be well worth the added cost.
The need for the auto came home to me again this week when we were working the cows and one just wouldn;t take that extra step because there was a stranger standing by the gate to catch her. I had cranked her tail so hard that I'm surprised she can still use it. I went around and set the auto catch and by the time I had walked back to crank her tail she had already walked in and got caught.
She's a cow that we have only had for a week and isn;t used to our set up since she had never been through the alley before, plus a stranger that she had never seen before standing there made her a little leery. Frequently when I AI I'm the only one here and getting a cow caught without a lot of fuss sure makes things go smoother.

dun
Anyone who has worked cattle to any extent at all has probably been stepped on, butted, crowded and/or squeezed and kicked in the process. Anything one can do to protect yourself and keep from getting injured (and sometimes getting injured will END your cattle career if not your life) is worth the effort. And if you have a kid or three your expenditure of a few extra bucks is darned good insurance for you and your kids! My advice is: have the correct equipment and enjoy your work AND your family. And it may keep your son(s) "Down on the Farm".

at the present i have a manual head gate... but i usually do not catch the head unless palpating or unless the cow is rowdy... i help work cows for some others and some of them have auto head gates... and they are nice. the only drawback i have found to them is trying to catch a cow that has horns of much length... that can get aggravating cause they keep setting one side or the other with the horns....

jt

jt":1i39pspm said:
at the present i have a manual head gate... but i usually do not catch the head unless palpating or unless the cow is rowdy... i help work cows for some others and some of them have auto head gates... and they are nice. the only drawback i have found to them is trying to catch a cow that has horns of much length... that can get aggravating cause they keep setting one side or the other with the horns....

jt
Homozygous Polled Bulls make life easier and cattle management safer.

DOC HARRIS":50w4bxxq said:
Homozygous Polled Bulls make life easier and cattle management safer.

you got that right... have homo polled a few once they did get into that head gate though.... :lol:

jt

Latest posts