Head chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have this head chute that looks to be quite old and is currently not working do to bent rods. Here is a photo of what mine is very similar to. (THIS IS NOT MINE) I believe it is a Priefert due to the color. Can someone help with with the model number, confirm it is a Priefert and can i get replacement parts still.

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-125801_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-125801_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Looks to be an older model Priefert,possibly made in the 80's?Don't remember the model number,maybe hg85?Maybe call them,describe headgate and problem,they will replace whatever parts you need.Lifetime guarantee on them has been good for me.PH # 800-527-8616 ,they are in Mt Pleasant Texas,might also be able to e-mail them a pic of yours?

Looks to be an older model Priefert,possibly made in the 80's?Don't remember the model number,maybe hg85?Maybe call them,describe headgate and problem,they will replace whatever parts you need.Lifetime guarantee on them has been good for me.PH # 800-527-8616 ,they are in Mt Pleasant Texas,might also be able to e-mail them a pic of yours?
Thank you Frank, i will reachout to them to see if they can help.

Yes an older Priefert and yes they will help you with the parts. The guys in the sales office are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I would save my money and buy me a modern self catch one. They work very well for folks like me that are always working by themselves.

Looks like a model 85, IIRC.
I've got one here that my dad bought, back in the early 1980s. Priefer can fix you up with replacement parts.

Priefert 85. I just fixed up one just like it.

Attachments

• 761B05A8-09E2-4825-BD9C-3E0D162FF4AF.jpeg
    761B05A8-09E2-4825-BD9C-3E0D162FF4AF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Thanks everyone for the information. I have my parts on order and they will. E here next week. The guys at Preifert are great to work with.

Thanks again everone.

What's the concensus on these? Found one locally for cheap. I need something inexpensive for 20 head.
Are you talking just the head gate or with a chute? We have a Preifert at the barn and it's my least favorite (Arrowquip by far my fave, the Titan is set up in the weaning pasture). Fortunately, I don't have to use the Preifert that often. Some of my bigger cows barely fit and as GoWyo mentioned, I sometimes have to either back them out or open the side gate. I just don't care for how it's set up and constantly bang my head on the side levers (even though I know they're there). Keep the WD-40 handy!

That said, how often do you anticipate using it? If the price is right and not using it much, there's nothing really wrong with them.

Are you talking just the head gate or with a chute? We have a Preifert at the barn and it's my least favorite (Arrowquip by far my fave, the Titan is set up in the weaning pasture). Fortunately, I don't have to use the Preifert that often. Some of my bigger cows barely fit and as GoWyo mentioned, I sometimes have to either back them out or open the side gate. I just don't care for how it's set up and constantly bang my head on the side levers (even though I know they're there). Keep the WD-40 handy!

That said, how often do you anticipate using it? If the price is right and not using it much, there's nothing really wrong with them.
A model 85 preifert. Headgate only. I'm needing something to slap up at a lease place. Was wondering if the 85's will work in a pinch. Can't find much on them on the internet.

Used an 85 for years on the farm back in AL. Still have it, and a Ward Welding headgate (similar construction to the Preifert headgates) that I bought for $25 back around 1987... No cows here anymore, so neither is in use.
Don't grease or WD-40 that 'friction lock' bar, though.

I have two that are even older than that, picked them up for a song. Not fancy but they do the job.

What can you get for $100 these days? Buy it, use it once it's paid for.

Like TC said, the Arrowquip chutes are awesome. My friend has one, it's fantastic, but they'll eat up a lot of profit.

Latest posts