Head Butting

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
I just bought a Lim-Flex heifer who has been handled and shown. She was shown by a high school freshman who has handled cattle for quite a few years. I am a first time cattle owner/handler (17 years old). We have had her since Friday. I am getting more and more confident around her, but she still will try head butting me every now and then. What is the proper way to deal with this? I'm not afraid of her or showing any signs of being unconfident. I mostly just ignore her and go about my business. I would like to stop this habit of her's though because it is unsafe and disrespectful. I just want to get rid of it the RIGHT way. Oh, and she is 19 months old and about 950 pounds. :bang: :???: :help:

TIA :)

I start by telling them Noooo. You would be surprized how much this can effect behavior. Next step involves direct contact with a sensitive body part.

I was opening the gate for a paddock move yesterday and a heifer busted through. I gave her the big Noooo and she turned back around, came back, and rejoined the herd. Did not even need a shock collar. :cowboy: Wish it always worked that well...

Stocker Steve":2139rnz3 said:
I start by telling them Noooo. You would be surprized how much this can effect behavior. Next step involves direct contact with a sensitive body part.

I was opening the gate for a paddock move yesterday and a heifer busted through. I gave her the big Noooo and she turned back around, came back, and rejoined the herd. Did not even need a shock collar. :cowboy: Wish it always worked that well...

Smack her, she needs to know you are her boss.

Stocker Steve":11o83muf said:
I start by telling them Noooo.
if this doesnt work (wich i will have to try this) she needs direct contact and dont just hit her on the side or something, smack her across the nose. Thats what i do

Latest posts