He just quit eating milk

Help Support CattleToday:

rancherswife

Reaction score
My grandson is raising 2 market calves for his county fair in May. He has a holstein and a swedish red holX. The holstein is eating 3 bottles twice a day and so was the other one but now he has just quit! He will eat maybe half a bottle once a day.
They eat grain and alittle hay. He doesn't look hungry and he acts like he feels GREAT when we let him out to work with him.
He is 5 weeks old now and we are just worried we won't get him looking covered enough by fair time.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Am I reading this right? Each calf is getting 6 bottles of replacer a day? That is way too much. We feed 1 - 2qt bottle in the morning and another at night. They have hay and water in front of them at all times. We start putting All Stock feed in front of them at about a week old. I'd be guessing his feed needs to be re-evaluated.

rancherswife":7039g2hz said:
They eat grain and alittle hay. He doesn't look hungry and he acts like he feels GREAT when we let him out to work with him.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Try letting them out during the day so they can get some more exercise. They will continue to feel better and eat better.

Farmhand":2xrluade said:
Am I reading this right? Each calf is getting 6 bottles of replacer a day? That is way too much. We feed 1 - 2qt bottle in the morning and another at night. They have hay and water in front of them at all times. We start putting All Stock feed in front of them at about a week old. I'd be guessing his feed needs to be re-evaluated.

I would have to disagree with you Farmhand. Most calves on their mothers will drink 2 or more gallons a day (based on the yield from a typical beef type milk cow - and I do realize my basis is not real scientific and leaves a lot of room for variations.) I also realize that when it comes to milk replacer this sort of thing can get expensive, but it does seem to help avoid the 'bottle calf belly' syndrome. The younger the calf the more frequently I bottle them - 3 or 4 times a day if possible. Once they are eating grain and hay good, then I start cutting down on the milk gradually, the number of feedings, and increasing the hay and grain. I also don't wean them at 4 weeks, I feel that is just too young. So far, the extra I've put out in the way of milk replacer and time has paid off in growth and weight gained - the real test comes week after next (I think) when this calf will be sold.

I gotta agree with you Farmhand. 6 bottles a day is way too much milk replacer unless they are small bottles. At 6 weeks old I cut them back to 1- 2Qt bottle a day for two weeks then they are off. I don't see how these calves aren't squirting like a goose. As for hay belly. Good calf starter, hay and fresh water should keep them from having it. If they are eating good he probably just doesn't want that much milk.

:eek: I agree- way too much milk-- I am surprised that you
do not have nutritional sours. I always go with 2 quart bottle
twice a day. Once they start eating the starter, they fill right
out. :lol:

Too bad the bag of milk replacer didn;t have feeding directions on it!

dun

6 bottles arnt overkill.i used to always feed my calves 3 gal a day.milk an water.but she said calf is 5wks old.drinking milk feed an hay the calf just up an weaned hisself.b/c he is eating enough feed an hay.theres nothing rong with the calf.

Thanks Bigbull :lol: That was the answer I was hoping for. My hubby said he was just weanning himself but I was worried it might be something else.
Yes you all are reading the amounts right!!
These calves are for what use to called the VEAL class until PETA stepped in and said that was inhumane. Now they are called MARKET calves but are still judged like veal as far as coverage is concerned. That is why I was worried. We still feed them all the milk like veal except they get alittle hay and grain.
Trust me feeding all this milk has always scared me as far as scours goes. I even asked some questions on another post about that. My kids raised these calves and now the Grandson and it still scares me. I hate bottle calves. Thank God we don't have that problem very often with the LONGHORNS!!!!
BTW Dun, My milk from the dairy don't have directions on it :lol:
Anyway Thanks for the replys and wish My Grandbaby Luck OK

well im glad i could help you relax.cales know when they get full.an will back off on their bottle.doesnt mean they wont get the scours eating an drinking alot.

Latest posts