Hay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Should I just turn the cows in on my hay ground? I cant get it dry enough to bale it and the orchard grass looks like straw. I give up!

If I turn the cows in it I can electric fence it off and keep them rotated.

I am in the same situation as you are. The hay guy showed up today and started mowing and I was really surprised how green the undergrowth was. Try mowing and see what you think, it may be better than you think even with the cool season grasses headed out. Getting it dry also depends on your haying equipment, but I'm still trying. After all it looks like we have two days this week before it rains again. gs

plumber_greg":2eh9dtvx said:
I am in the same situation as you are. The hay guy showed up today and started mowing and I was really surprised how green the undergrowth was. Try mowing and see what you think, it may be better than you think even with the cool season grasses headed out. Getting it dry also depends on your haying equipment, but I'm still trying. After all it looks like we have two days this week before it rains again. gs
Heck! Greg

How am I supposed to make a living selling you hay if you are having yours baled :?

Had a nice rain Thursday and a sprinkle Friday........today everything is showing moisture stress......Sun came out yesterday and today. :roll: Cut another 23 acres today before it burns up. :D

plumber_greg":3hz0yord said:

Got it put up. Not very good quality but it beats a snow bank all to He!!

115 bales from 27 acres so that is 4.2?? per acre. Raining again right now. I didnt get it under the tarp hope it doesnt rain to much I would like to get it covered up but I probably wont be able to.

Got 39 acres put up with nary a drop...141 bales. Gives me 247 for the year. Have another 8 acres I plan on baling. Another 24 I could bale, but will probably graze out. Especially if it doesn't rain in the next day or two.