hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure land is availible, might depend on size and or type your looking for. Farm or Ranch? Big ranches with water, hunting and 'senic vistas' always bring big $$$. Flat farms with nothing but alfalfa and sagebrush are more reasonable but more likely to pay a return. I don't know of any real estate listings for the area.

As far as water goes, to my knowledge most if not all the irrigated land is from wells. Poor land with deep wells is cheap. Good land with shallow water is expensive. Pumping water can be the single biggest expense to grow hay in the high desert, your profit margin is very dependent on power usage and cost, or diesel prices if engine wells, etc. Efficent irrigation is a must. The water is there, it is just expensive to lift it to where it can do any good.
Rainfall? Maybe none. Most of the water comes as snow. Oh sure there are showers, some winters it may be warm and rain some but most is snow. Which is the main reason irrigation is so important. Your going to grow almost nothing depending on natural rainfall. Dryland range in that area might feed 1 cow/calf pair on 50-60 acres for a few months in the spring.

Might check Knipe Land Company for real estate listings.

Ive found some listings one was for 200 acre's and it was really cheap, so iam guessing its going to be poor land thats going to need a deep well. Well hopefully this summer ill be able to head out there and check the country out. Maybe find better pieces. Mainly I want out of california

Latest posts