Hay yeilds

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
We got done cutting our first field, and were very disappointed with the the number of bales per acre, pretty pathetic, and the hay was so nice and thick too. We did not fertilize, but did put heavy manure on the field. Whats everyone else been getting on their hay fields?

GMN

First cutting was off by about 30%, related pretty much to reduction in fertilization. Second cutting was off by 40 - 50% at recommended fertilzation rate. I think I had the moisture for it to grow but not the temperature. I suppose reducing early fertization of first cutting may have affected the second cutting, but I believe the weather was to to cool for the warm season grasses and to hot for the cool season. Just greatful I have plenty left over from last year. Do not plan to bale anymore this year. 58.5 tons off 57 acres cut.

Of the 3 fields we cut, 2 were fertilized. One that wasn;t and one that was did about what they allwasy do. One field, 13 acres, usaully runs around 28-29 bales. This year 48. I recounted that one a bunch of times and still wasn;t sure till we got it in the barn.

I'm getting about 1 ton/acre... which is great compared to last year during the drought. I had two square bales left in the barn from last year. I don't know how them cows survived on the sticks and briars I fed em. They'll be in heaven this winter.

200 bales to go and my back can rest for a couple of months

Cut the last field last night. Been averaging about 4.5 rolls/acre. 5x4 rolls, I'd guess them around 1000lbs/each. Some a bit less, a few more. Had a field of wheat turn out 5800lbs/acre, that impressed me. Had never touched wheat before.

yields how been 30 to 50% less than last year. I am with 1982 vett on this think the cool weather we had back in first part of May/last part of April has a big part to do with lower yields. Hopefully things will get better, but last several days we have had very high winds and they are drying the ground out fast. So windy other day I was baling about 3 foot behind the rake so I would not loose the windrow to wind, not fun at all driving that close, and I still lost part of the windrow.

170 4X5 bales these week down from last year , 225 no fert. these year. Will hope to get a second cut later in the year.

I should be cutting this week BUT it takes water to grow grass and we don't have any. Its looking grim. :help:

So far no one in my county has cut any hay yet. It is slow developing (wet and cool) but it is ready now and we can't get a 3 day break without rain. Usually everyone is done with first cutting by end of May. It is ready now but it just keeps raining.

About 3 bales to the acre so far. We have got it better than last year even though it seems we are still in a drought. We had very little to no rain in the Spring last year. We got one place that might make 3 cuttings.

Next year will be here for us.

We're cutting and baling now. I'll know in by the first of the week how much we get (if it doesn't rain on us). Some of the best looking hay I've ever cut this time...

We managed somehow to come through last years drought in pretty good shape and this year the hay has been exceptional. We have averaged 6 4x5 (1000lb +/-) per acre. We should need around 500 rolls for an average winter and have already rolled 750+. Have not even put fertilizer on the 10 acres of bermuda yet and may not try to push it very hard this year because of fert. prices. First cutting is all rolled up, just need to get about 200 more rolls put in the barn. Not really looking to do much second cutting unless it looks like we could sell some of it to help with expenses.

My volume is tremendous, my quality is disappointing. Overly mature grasses, rained on (but baled dry). If the cows won't eat it, I guess I'll grow mushrooms with it.

TNMasterBeefProducer":eqg2oil7 said:
From what I can tell thus far it looks like the people around this area may get 2-3 cuttings of hay. There is alot more hay than last year and it is alot cheaper than last year also.
Looks that way here too. Thats why I don't think I will try to push the bermuda grass. Might not be able to sell it for the $50/roll needed to cover the cost.

51 acres of coastal bermuda and yielded 177 4x5 rolls. That figures to about 3 rolls per acre. Each roll is weighing approximately 900 pounds.

Quantity is not good, but the quality is some of the best I have ever had. We've had a big high pressure front sitting on top of us for several days. It's been hot, it's been dry, and it's been perfect weather to cut hay. If you can't cure hay in weather like this, it can't be done.

We got 471 4x5 bales off of 150 acres that comes to just over 3 bales an acre. We are very pleased with that after last year. I had 4 bales left over from last year that was cutting it close. I have already got twice the hay this year than last year and should get a least 1 more cutting. May just have to buy some more cows.

Some excellent yields here, and some poor. Overall, average. 1.3 acres of covercrop wheat on a tobacco patch made 12 tight 5x5 rolls. I had to rake it about 3 times to clean up the ground. My little bar rake just wouldn't take it. 3.5 acres of mixed grass, mostly rank fescue made 15 5x5's. Other fields very thin.

High yields, low quality is the story in most of these posts. We never get the whole package, do we?
I see a couple neighbors have hay in the windrow. They will be trying to beat the rain forecast for tonight. The last of my first cutting is still standing, doggone it. I cannot get two days without rain, much less the 3 days I need to get it baled right. And, a forecast of rain is a guarantee this year. Count on a soaker if the forecast says 20% chance of sprinkles.
I've been a skeptic about baleage, but this would have been the year to benefit from that.
Really alarming how little corn is planted here. I doubt farmers planted 5% of the acres they intended to plant.

I fertlized based on the soil test and got 96 5'x4' rolls off 13.5 acres of MaxQ. That comes out to be 7.1 rolls per acre. This is a 41% increase over last year when I only got 68 5'x4' rolls on the same ground. This year I had plenty of rain at the right time, last year we had hardly any rain.

I havn't had this years hay tested yet but the quality looks good like last years hay.

Latest posts