hay stacking practices

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
i have seen and heard every reason why and how to stack hay. some stack it on flat side then two on top of that with the round side down. I have seen others stack all three rows with flat down and others all three with round side down. any reason for any way or the other. I just try to get in the barn as many as possible any which way I can. are there any reasons for doing it one way or the other

If it's in a barn, IMO, whichever way you can get the most in and easiest for you to get out is the best. The only time that I think stacking hay is super critical is when storing outside. They should always be laying on side, to help repel rain. If you stand them up on end, they will get soaked with water throughout the bale. Sideways use only lose a few inches on the outside.

I use grass twine.When stacking in barn I put bottom bales on end, this way twine doesn't rot. Also the hay seems to wick less moisture from the ground.

This year I started stacking on pallets. It is a little more work to do it, but I don't lose any hay from ground moisture. As much as it costs, I'll never go back to stacking on the ground.

If the bales are tight, I stack them like beer bottles.

mine is always in barn.this year i noticed an oilfeild company down the highway had lots of wooden palets stacked up near the highway.iasked and they told me i could have all i wanted.it got my hay up off the ground in my barn and gives air flow so they wont mold or rot.

In the barn, I stack the first two on end, then the top row on its side. (three's as high as my loader will stack them) That way the stack is the full width of the barn all the way up. I lay the top one on its side because I don't want to have bale that high up that I can't spear very well. Don't want it coming back over the loader arms.

In the barn on pallets...rotate through. Have a friend that has three year old hay in his barn but still stacks some outside every year.

Latest posts