Hay season

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
We've rolled 400+ rolls this week. :shock: Most hay that I've ever rolled in one week. We had three mowers one rake and two rollers going. We got 101 rolls off of a 19 acre field. It was planted last spring in Russell. Best cutting off of it so far. Got a 9 acre field I'm gonna cut tomorrow. Then we'll be done for a couple weeks. :hide:

I wish I had your problem lol I've got 150 rolls off of 75 acres .. one cutting so far. Usually I get between 350 and 400 rolls a cutting .. this year really sucks .... but at least I didn't spend a bunch of money on fertalizing ....

I will have baled the fewest bales in a season since Dad started baling his own in 1973.......ZERO......Didn't make a bale at all this year......

ZERO is the most common hay production here. That's the number I made. No one within 10 miles of my place here in SE Texas has made a single bale this year.

I wish it would hurry up and go back to normal for ya'll. We are dry but I would share our little bit of rain if I could.
Texas needs some rain.

Due to the drought I've missed two cuttings but what cuttings I've made were heavy yielding. Should get one more if the armyworms don't win the war. Been some kind of year with armyworms.

Jogeephus":2jdtl1mi said:
Due to the drought I've missed two cuttings but what cuttings I've made were heavy yielding. Should get one more if the armyworms don't win the war. Been some kind of year with armyworms.
Do y'all ever spray for them or do they just overwelam everything?

Two years ago, when it did rain, I had army worms in my klein grass hayfield. Sprayed liquid Seven, looked like close to 100% kill. Wish I had enough grass to have army worms.

jedstivers":2z9yq1pw said:
Jogeephus":2z9yq1pw said:
Do y'all ever spray for them or do they just overwelam everything?

If you don't stay on top of them they will overwhelm you and ruin the field. Its easy enough to spot them because of the cowbirds but I'm spread out and its sometimes hard to monitor each field. This time of year, on a full moon, odds are they are active. If I find them early I'll spray Sevin or Baythroid depending on the severity and size. If I've missed them and they have a good toe hole on the field I'll hit them with Lannate. Lannate gives me a warm feeling cause I like to see the little bastards squirming before I leave the field.

lets not talk about how much hay weve made this year lolol.we only made 55 bales so far this year.the cusom balers tractor set a field on fire while they was raking an baling so that 60acs of hay burned.what was bad he didnt have the guts to come tell us.we didnt know about the fire till we say smoke in the hay meadow.we have 35acs we are going to bale when it cools off.

Not been able to bale any here, either. First it was too dry, grass wasn't growing. When it started to rain, it hasn't stopped long enough to dry out. Was gonna bale some for haylage, but the day before I started cutting the man with the wrapper called & canceled. I guess I'll just wait till the rainy season is over now and probably get just 1 cutting.

We've got 27 acres down now. Gonna roll it Monday. Then probably start cutting the other 350 acres next week.

Latest posts