Hay season finally done

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Baled the last of the hay for the year last night. It was second cutting pearl millet that was planted after wheat back in July. First Cutting back in late August yielded 59 5.5 x 5 bales off of the 35 acres. This time, only 13. :( Way too cool in September for it to grow good. I thought there would be about 25 or so bales. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted the time and fuel. Oh well, my 4 year old son rode with me, so that was OK.

Edited because I type faster than I think.

congrats on baling the last of your hay.an having your 4yr old lil boy ride with you is priceless.

I too am all done cutting. I have about 15 acres to roll starting this afternoon and I will be finished for the year.

I think I'm done. Might have to cut one more field but we are in a drought again so I doubt it. Being ya'll are finished, I sure could use some help moving some hay. :mrgreen:

Cleaned up baler Monday and stored it for the year. Was a tough year for haying could not get it to dry. Had plenty am happy.

Unless I get some custom jobs I am done as well, going to have allot left over for next year. No major problems this year, so that a good thing. Got all hauled home too, now to do other things around place that needs to be done. Sure nice to be done this early.

I am finished too except for one more peanut patch to roll sometime later this month. Then it's time to clean up and get ready for next year.

Finished moving all the hay today. Just gotta clean everything up and put it under the barn. For a drought year I did pretty good cause I now have hay stuck everywhere I could put it. If we have another drought, I'm ready.

LaneFarms":1fs2sm7f said:
I've got about 60 acres left and part of it wil have to wait til frost. Got way to much in fertilizer to cut it this short.
Frost in Florida, come on now, we know that doesn't usually happen till Christmas at the earliest. ;-)

Yes, I know, at 5 AM it was 17 degrees in Gainsville the day after Christmas 1983. Started hitting ice in Lafayette, LA. Cleveland to Conroe wasn't to bad but Conroe to Bryan was slow and slick. Long day's drive that was.

Hang on to that extra hay Jogee, I've already fed 88 of the 118 rolls I made this year. I'm going to try to punt this dry weather out of here. Not being a good punter, no telling where it's going to land. :lol2:

Frost in Florida, come on now, we know that doesn't usually happen till Christmas at the earliest. ;-)

South Florida may not get a frost til christmas but we will get one before thanksgiving I bet. I am about 40 miles west of Gainesville. I feel for you on feeding hay already. We fed til the first of june and if we don't get some rain today or tomorrow I'll probably have to put some out next week.

I still plan to be baling on Thanksgiving day like last year. All I can bale now is water.

We are finished baling also. Got the last of the small squares up two weekends ago. No problems this time, but the first cutting we had we were pulling the baler and rack out when a front tire on the tractor went flat. Wife was driving the tractor so I drove back to the house and got the spare. When I got back antifreeze was spewing out of the tractor. Thankfully the neighbor let us use his tractor to bale because that weekend alone we baled up 550 bales just the two of us. She drives the tractor and stacks in the loft and I stack the rack and run the rack when we unload because I can move the bale-evator down the stacks. Baler never missed a beat, once we got it dialed in, usually takes five bales or so. I'm going to redeck the rack over the winter. It's about time because I put my foot through it the second time we baled. Baler is cleaned out, twine removed, mothballed, and ready for winter. Oh, and we only broke two shear bolts this season, yea! We had a problem getting the first cutting to dry though. I raked it twice and there were still about 40 wet bales, but we had two stallions and two heifers to feed at the time so they took care of those before they got moldy. I'm looking forward to winter and a much needed slow down.

Latest posts