Hay Quality vs. Price ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Buyers will test and pay up for dairy quality hay here. Not so much for other hays. It seems that recent shortages have pushed up grassy "cow hay" up to almost the same price as grass/legume "heifer hay". Have you seen this situation?

No sure of current prices we had a really good hay making may. I know alot of cows left this area. But there really isn't hardly any hay ground left. Most was burned down fences pushed out several years ago for grain. My area has really changed in the last 10-15 years. Used to be cow country now looks like hilly parts of IL.

Cow hay was going for U$S 120 to 180 per ton at May auctions.
Not sure what will happen yet with new crop. Looks below average due to cool wet weather.

I don't listen to pipers, except when the beery Fort Francis lads march on July 4th.

I think higher 2019 grain and hay prices will increase cow slaughter.

Stocker Steve said:
I don't listen to pipers, except when the beery Fort Francis lads march on July 4th.

I think higher 2019 grain and hay prices will increase cow slaughter.

I believe your speculation is spot on SS. The vast majority of hay ground here is still standing; past optimal and going rank. No signs of a hay window in the 10 day. I was very fortunate to make hay on 20 acres with a very risky and small window. Still have another 20 plus that hasnt been touched and is going rank fast. Grain prices continue to climb. I expect some folks to start dumping after the first frost; maybe sooner if things turn dry?

Cattle are still selling well here due to lots of "free" grass. Don't see how that can last with higher feed prices. Well connected folks have satellite photos and thus some solid projections on how high is higher. The rest of us need to manage as best we can. I sold some cow hay this week. I will be updating my cull list next week. :cowboy:

Stocker Steve said:
Cattle are still selling well here due to lots of "free" grass. Don't see how that can last with higher feed prices. Well connected folks have satellite photos and thus some solid projections on how high is higher. The rest of us need to manage as best we can. I sold some cow hay this week. I will be updating my cull list next week. :cowboy:

People thought I was nuts when I was dumping calves and culling hard last year to meet my feed supplies. Just go buy more hay was the response. I am betting everyone else is going to be a lot sharper with the pencil this year. I know of some dumb cocky Mennonite brothers that thought they were overloaded with hay and sold prime alfalfa in big bales for $30 last fall and were buying $50 bales of old native grass in March. Mother Nature takes no prisoners.