Hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Humm. It don't look like it would stop waste but I will sure take your word for it. I might be able to make one of those out of an old bent ring too. I think I have enough junk lying around to make me one. What diameter is that thing?

They don't pull it out, drop it all around, and stamp it in the mud? Well the do it to a ring too so at least it gets it up off the ground.
I think I will make me one next rainy day.

alabama":1qpzafv8 said:
Humm. It don't look like it would stop waste but I will sure take your word for it. I might be able to make one of those out of an old bent ring too. I think I have enough junk lying around to make me one. What diameter is that thing?

They don't pull it out, drop it all around, and stamp it in the mud? Well the do it to a ring too so at least it gets it up off the ground.
I think I will make me one next rainy day.

We have cattle panel welded to the inside they only pull out what they eat, also ours are built lower to the ground and on skids. You don't have that big lump of wet ruined hay in the middle of the ring that nothing will eat.

We have cattle panel welded to the inside they only pull out what they eat, also ours are built lower to the ground and on skids.

Yep I am going to make me one of those. I feed 5 X 5 so a about a 5.5foot Dia about 6 foot long should work. and just line it with a piece of welded wire cattle panel.
I can make a skid and stand out of some pieces of old pipe.
thanks CB I will try amd post a pic when I get it made.

alabama":eob7vl1i said:
We have cattle panel welded to the inside they only pull out what they eat, also ours are built lower to the ground and on skids.

Yep I am going to make me one of those. I feed 5 X 5 so a about a 5.5foot Dia about 6 foot long should work. and just line it with a piece of welded wire cattle panel.

Ours are not a full circle they are just a half circle so you can set the bale in with no problem. Neighbor made his V shaped closed in on all sides with panel I actually think his design is a little better than mine.

I was thinking I may make the base and sled out of some 10 inch "H" piles I have laying around. HP 10 X 42s That should give it plenty of weight so the bulls don't turn it over every chance they get.

Here is picture of the one CB is talking about, but this one has a bigger catch platform around it. Cost me $300 bucks, the guy that makes them lives in Hico.

It's not the best picture, because it's in the back ground.

DSCF0011.jpg

D_skro":15ir5tmo said:
4x5 bale goes for around $15 here and $30 for a silage bale of alfalfa or clover :D

If they are selling it for 15 bucks a bale you had better buy all you can get your hands on cause that fellow is not going to be in business long.

Caustic Burno":22ibssy0 said:
alabama":22ibssy0 said:

Ours are not a full circle they are just a half circle so you can set the bale in with no problem. Neighbor made his V shaped closed in on all sides with panel I actually think his design is a little better than mine.

We just unroll our bales down the hill back into a little windrow. We have very little wasted and it spreads any seed in the hay out as well as the patties and the tear the ground up a lot less. We spread the bales out all over the farm to make them roam from place to place to get it. That way it's spread out more so the browse more for leftover summer grass and winter grass coming up on those back pastures. It's not really any more work than moving rings, but IMHO it's the best way to feed hay. No piles a foot thick of rotting hay nothing will eat, no reefs of turds and torn up muddy ground where the feed rings were either.

cowtrek":5f0z3lxt said:
Caustic Burno":5f0z3lxt said:
alabama":5f0z3lxt said:

We just unroll our bales down the hill back into a little windrow. We have very little wasted and it spreads any seed in the hay out as well as the patties and the tear the ground up a lot less. We spread the bales out all over the farm to make them roam from place to place to get it. That way it's spread out more so the browse more for leftover summer grass and winter grass coming up on those back pastures. It's not really any more work than moving rings, but IMHO it's the best way to feed hay. No piles a foot thick of rotting hay nothing will eat, no reefs of turds and torn up muddy ground where the feed rings were either.

Thats a good idea if you don't live in a rainforest like I do. We have to put drainage systems in our pastures. It is usually to wet to drive through the middle and back pasture from OCt till May.

Visiting the gradn kids in New Mexico and was amased at $12.25
a bale for small squares...alfalfa...alfalfa/grass is going for 9-10.
This was in Gallup a bit cheeper in Albuqurque.
DMc

I feel sorry for you guys , A fello can buy all the good alfalfa hay he wants here for $20 -$25 a 1200 lb roll. Good grass hay at $15. Just bought 109 alfalfa rolls from last yr for $8 a roll loaded.

Paid $70 a bale came from 150 miles away from Texas Coast cost $20 a bale to deliver, also what hay was made here the commercial balers are charging $25 a bale to bale. What are they charging in other areas? As the other person said not making money just trying to keep my last good cows after selling off half the herd.

We have been selling 5x4 rolls for $20 and Square bales for $1.75. With our rainfall we hardly ever have a shortage of hay. Just have a time getting it up dry. I also have the pleasure of feeding in winter in a rainforest climate. Got our 2wd JD stuck many times last year when the ground was not frozen. Those things will not go when the axle is buried in mud. :oops: I will get a 4wd someday………

Totally amazing!

Can't imagine ANYONE could sell round bales for less than $30-40 a bale, considering the cost of fuel, equipment maintenance, value of grass, factoring in value of any labor, etc.

Regardless of where one lives or how much good grass they have, fuel costs are basic. It costs X amount to run a tractor to pull the several pieces of equipment needed to create a bale of hay. Then, that's not including any other incidental expenses.

Maybe those $8 to $25 a bale people get their gas/diesel at midnight supply, borrow equipment, and use androids to run equipment that don't require any compensation other than recharging their battery...lol.

A simple case of supply and demand. Hay is plentiful around here and no one will pay more that $20 a roll for hay. (in very plentiful years I have seen low quality 4x4s go for as low as $6 picked up). I know that we are not making much money by selling hay, but that profit margin is all the local market will support. That is why we depend on most of our income from beef.

Latest posts