Hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
While moving hay from my west hayfield today I have to get on the highway for a 1/3 of mile or so. Seen semi after semi heading west loaded with hay.
Hay 4x5's are bringing 55 to 60 dollars here.
Now to get to the real question what is that hay costing after it gets trucked in?
Second how do you stay in business buying hay for that much money?

a 4X5 bale here is bringing nothing close to $55-60...i'd be lucky to get $35 for a 4X5 bale of premium fertilized coastal

Caustic Burno":1v0ctz1k said:
While moving hay from my west hayfield today I have to get on the highway for a 1/3 of mile or so. Seen semi after semi heading west loaded with hay.
Hay 4x5's are bringing 55 to 60 dollars here.
Now to get to the real question what is that hay costing after it gets trucked in?
Second how do you stay in business buying hay for that much money?

I think you are looking at 8.8 cents per roll per mile hauled on top of the base price your quoted. I figured that by taking $3.00 per mile for the trucker and dividing by 34 rolls per semi. I think this is close.

I have know idea what the answer to question number 2 is.

1) North Texas 4x5 rolls $60 to 75

2) You don't make money buying hay at that price.

After two hard years of drough, most people have sold off everything but the "core" of their herds. Most people aren't willing to give up and sell out. Almost all the ranches around here the owners still have other jobs to pay the bills. Plus the area is booming with mail box money due to all the gas wells.

To answer your question, don't think you do stay in business if ranching is your only business unless you got a lot of money put back and just like seeing your savings dwindle. If it ain't your only business then you do like most folks and rely on either a second job or a wife's income and still pi$$ your money away.

I did not "need" extra hay this year as I had a decent cutting but last year due to the drought most everyones barns were empty and I promised myself never again to not have at least a years supply of hay on hand. Paid $28 a roll delivered. Was selling for $25 in the field but when I figured my time and fuel it was cheaper having it delivered.

Have heard horror stories in Texas of rolls going for $115 this year. Last year some folks were not leaving their ranches without someone home to guard/watch for either fires or hay thieves.

J

The farmers in the river bottoms harvested their corn and then immediately started irrigation. The new corn stalks are almost 5 feet tall. This is the first time I've ever seen them do that. I imagine they will be baling soon.

Caustic Burno":uojazfuc said:
It is just amazing to see how much hay was made in southeast Texas going north and west. The rest of the state is burnt up.
It is amazing how localized that it can get. I have two farms that are only a few miles apart and one is green and the other one burnt up.

I've been selling mine for $25 a 4x5 bale. I've got Coastal fertilized with chicken litter.
I have had several farmers stop and ask to buy hay. One was from Texas.

Price of hay is all over the place here in SE Texas. My supplier that sold me 400 rolls last year, and who has sold me a lot of hay in the past, wanted to triple his price. Told him no thanks, I would sell the cattle before I would pay that. That was a few months ago. Guess he must have had a change of heart,or maybe did a little math.....namely..... sell hay at a large price this year, make lots of money, next year sell hay to nobody, but horse owners, as most of the cattle people with any sense have sold out. I just hope cattlemen and women will remember who stuck it to em, and who took care of em....I got good coastal 4/6 bales for 35 bucks, didnt get all I wanted but I got enough to get by with a little luck....Having said all this I hope some of my Texas and Okie cattlemen will remember something.. I can remember 3 times now that we have had tough droughts, and our neighbors have profitted from our troubles...Ranchers from Texas and Oklahoma have sent hay out of state at no charge to other areas of the country that were in a bind, all they had to do was pay the shipping. I know that some hay was sent to the panhandle of Texas last year after the fires from other states, and for that I am sure they are grateful. Now I am seeing scenes from 1993 and 94. 18 wheeler cattle trailers loaded with hay going south and going back north loaded with cattle. It got under my skin back then, and it shouldnt be happening now

Paid $35 for a roll of corn stalks 6 weeks ago just to see if they would eat it. They only ate about 2/3rds of it. The rest was thick stalks, empty cobs etc. Hence the real feed cost of that roll was 35*1.33 = $46. I might have been part of the problem though since I didn't get the hay ring over it before I cut the net wrap. One quick slice thru the net wrap and POOF! the pile was to big to get the hay ring on.

Need to use hay bunks instead of rings much less wasted hay.
With the cost of hay in most of Tx and Ok this year would most likely pay for the material to build bunks.

Post a picture of a "hay bunk" please. I may want to switch to them as my rings expire.

Latest posts