Hay Drying Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

MasseyFerg

Reaction score
so i cut the hay, then ted it so that it drys faster instead of being in the swath that the cutter made. Once the top dries do I go ahead and rake it and let if finish drying in the windrows? Or do i let it dry all of the way then rake it and bale it as soon as I finish baling?
or do I ted it again to bring some more green to the top or will this knock the leaves off.

So I guess I am asking, will raking it bring the green to the top so that it drys faster, or will raking it cover the green part up and it dry slower?

Thank you very much

So many factors to consider. Type of hay, thickness, sunny, cloudy, humidity.
I generally just work grass hay. First cutting, I'll maybe ted once. I then like to get it off the ground and in windrows for curing. I don't like to run the tractors anymore than needed.

fitz

This time of year just cut one day rake and bail the next. In fall and spring is the only time I use the tedder.

If it as hot and dry there as it is here it will be ready as soon as you can get to the field with the baler.

I'd think you far enough south with enough hot dry weather to leave it alone till it is ready to bale in a day or two. "Playing" with it so it dries a couple hours faster is and expensive proposition.

Red Bull Breeder":1sb5krni said:
What is the other grass in it Massey? Johnson grass don't take as long as you might think sometimes.

Johnson grass, crabgrass, bermuda and dallisgrass. The stalks on the johnson grass take a long time to dry

Latest posts