hay build up

Help Support CattleToday:

LaneFarms

Reaction score
I am having problems with hay building up between the belts on my 467. I bet I pulled half a square bale out from between them when I shut down yesterday. Anyone have any idea to the cause of this, I already tried measuring and relacing the belts.

I'm pretty sure it is a variety of conditions....pretty hard for the hay not get to dry, brittle and slick this time of the year unless it's been rained on. Even thick crabgrass gets pretty thin and light when it's dried out under Texas sun and I'd assume Florida sun isn't much different (usually). Larger well built windrows or using taller gear to reduce spin time in the baler(reduce rpm along with faster travel)...bale early morning before all the dampness is gone utilizing morning moisture. And sometimes it is what it is...

I'm just guessing here but I feel confident that that hay is getting there when you first start the bale. I used to start into the row at the same speed I was going when I stopped, then I started easing into it until I saw the hay turning inside the chamber. That took care of the biggest part of that issue. Crabgrass seemed to the culprit most of the time. It doesn't seem to want to make the transition from the pick up to the belts very well. And yes, I have a John Deere baler.

Sizmic

Also, is it really a problem? When ours does that, we just keep right on going.

Sizmic

sizmic":2o74o8in said:
Also, is it really a problem? When ours does that, we just keep right on going.

Sizmic
Could be a problem if enough friction is created to start a fire.....

Possible, but highly unlikely with crabgrass, in my opinion. There is no more friction there than there is against the wall of the baler and the hay itself. I have never seen anything other than a bad bearing get hot on a baler. Having said the above, in the type of droughts a big part of the country is in, I would be leary of pulling any equipment into a field of hay.

Sizmic

It has happened with both crabgrass and bermuda. It originally started doing it last year but only sporadically, but now it is all the time. I have tried slowing the rpms and increasing ground speed to no avail. It has on occasion had enough build up and fall behind the belts to wrap the bottom drive roller up until it slips the belts. I am wondering since its mainly on one side if I have a bearing that is loose on that side.

My new Holland 7060 was doing that I called the dealer and the mechanic told me to remove the roller scraper .. it is designed for silage .. once I took it out I didn't have anymore trouble... call the local deal and ask the mechanic ...

sizmic":394brs19 said:
Possible, but highly unlikely with crabgrass, in my opinion. There is no more friction there than there is against the wall of the baler and the hay itself. I have never seen anything other than a bad bearing get hot on a baler. Having said the above, in the type of droughts a big part of the country is in, I would be leary of pulling any equipment into a field of hay.

Sizmic
bent pickup teeth rubbing againts a guard... like a torch striker

Latest posts