Haven't been here in a long time ... but got some cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
So yeah I havent really been on CT for a long while, I've looked every now and then. Havent been doing much stuff with cattle for the last three years since shifting to the other side of the country, cattle work has been scarce, and finding time to fit it into my full time work schedule plus my goats at home is even harder. But I thought I'd come back since it seems like I now have two cows of my own, those who know me from a while back would remember that I worked as a stud groom/fitter for several people and did an awful lot of cattle showing but never owned any cows of my own. Seems like that has changed.

A week ago almost, I offered to foster some cows that came through an animal rescue organisation, looks like I am now going to adopt them. They are 9 and 7, mother and daughter, they told me they were murray greys but when I went to pick them up they were tiny, so I'm calling them Square Meaters :D

I am kicking around ideas but thinking of AI'ing them to a good carcass lowline bull for some nice vealer calves to take to the royal show here before they go in the freezer. Will probably run a friend's Dexter bull as a mop up, that could be an interesting calf if they dont take to the AI.

Tear em apart if you wish, I dont mind. I'm pretty happy with them. They are getting nice and friendly, learning to follow the grain bucket and letting me rub their necks while they eat. I'll throw a halter on them this weekend, I need them halter broken here as I dont have yards, crush etc. on this property.

Younger cow
252370_603828722963312_838981141_n.jpg

Older cow (the back end makes me cringe but apart from that they really arent too bad)

400882_603828909629960_1148907752_n.jpg

They are in pretty good condition given they are rescues and were living in sand paddocks being fed carrots, bread, apples etc.

379710_603828976296620_655277641_n.jpg

431135_603828829629968_791043803_n.jpg

923018_603828762963308_158110759_n.jpg

970728_603828719629979_1397677582_n.jpg

They are pretty suspicious of the horse and the goats

575625_603828686296649_1641369376_n.jpg

268823_603828746296643_1086970427_n.jpg

I think they're pretty nice looking.

I do have question to throw out to anyone. I'm going to assume the 7 year old has never had a calf, and the 9 year old hasn't had one in 7 years. Are there any issues with a 7 year old calving for the first time? Are the bones fused and might cause an issue?

Chris H":2xbx1i3a said:
I think they're pretty nice looking.

I do have question to throw out to anyone. I'm going to assume the 7 year old has never had a calf, and the 9 year old hasn't had one in 7 years. Are there any issues with a 7 year old calving for the first time? Are the bones fused and might cause an issue?
If that's the case with the 7yr old, it's absolutely an issue. I'd have your vet do a breeding exam to let you know further. You'll find many publications urging to calve prior to 3yrs old for the reason you mentioned.

Welcome back Keren.
I hope they are breedable for you also.
Square Meater might be an option as well for carcass and CE?

Chris you assume right that the 7 yr old has not calved ans the 9 yr old hasnt xalved for 9 yrs.

Its an interesting thought, personally im not too worried about it, ive bred goats that were 8 yrs old their first time with seemingly.no problems. It is one reason though that im looking at the smaller breeds Lowline or Square Meater to AI them, rather than a full sized breed.

Rowdy, my vet wont do a pelvic exam and if she did wouldnt be able to tell me anything more about the breedability of these females than I can guess myself. My vet pretty much dispenses the drugs I ask for, or does surgery I ask for. I vet my own animals. She is a great dog/cat/horse vet but not so keen on treating my goats and really dislikes treating cattle.

Keren":1lqkkhuz said:
Rowdy, my vet wont do a pelvic exam and if she did wouldnt be able to tell me anything more about the breedability of these females than I can guess myself. My vet pretty much dispenses the drugs I ask for, or does surgery I ask for. I vet my own animals. She is a great dog/cat/horse vet but not so keen on treating my goats and really dislikes treating cattle.

Right, I hear you about the vet. My point was that an exam would let you know about their pelvic capacity in terms of whether you need to use a lowline type or not. The one that's never calved I wouldn't especially want to know on.

I saw where you were concerned about the cows condition when looking at them from the rear. Let me assure you those cows are in plenty good shape. They look at least a 5 bcs from the pics.

Rowdy i think you mistake me, i am happy with their BCS. I dont like the pelvic setup on the older cow in yhat she has the high tail set and i would prefer more angle from hips to pins. I'll measure them up but from the looks of them i am happy with the pelvic capacity.and the younger cow is nicely.put together in the rear. The lowline choice is more because they are small.framed cattle, i want them to be having 25kg calves instead of 40kg calves. Plus.snall cattle suit me. Been looking at.bith lowline and square meater semen and genestar testing etc. Theres.some.impressive bulls available.

Gosh thanks chippie :) and thanks to everyone else for the welcome back :)

my.new cows decided to.rip down my electric.hprse yard today because the electrics were turned off ... So tomorrow i'll be putting it back up.and introducing them to the hot wire. I dont appreciate critters.ripping down.fences!

I really like that coloring. Light hair color to reflect solar radiation, yet skin pigment to avoid sunburn. Makes a big difference in hot areas.

I was interested in the square meaters, but haven't found much in the states. I guess small Murray Greys or British Whites are the next best thing.

Latest posts