have you ever seen this before?

Help Support CattleToday:

We finally got a little rain also. It wasn't much but maybe my bermuda seed I sowed in the spring will finally come up.

Left a feed bag in the truck, washed the car, and still nothing. Maybe I oughtta go draw a turtle in the dirt. Kind of hard to take when the airport in Houston has claimed in upwards of 8" in their rain gage, and there hasn't been so much of a ground wetting out here, 80 miles away.

TR":4t8gmbnp said:
Left a feed bag in the truck, washed the car, and still nothing. Maybe I oughtta go draw a turtle in the dirt. Kind of hard to take when the airport in Houston has claimed in upwards of 8" in their rain gage, and there hasn't been so much of a ground wetting out here, 80 miles away.

We are up to 1 " since Saturaday night and its still raining Hot Damn.

1 inch here this morning, about 12:30. It may help some. Everything is driern a popcorn fart.

Its raining, its raining! Started last night and still going! Little lakes everywhere! Yippee!!!!

We have received a 1.75" since Friday. Put out 250 lbs. fert last Tuesday. :cboy: Started looking for hay recently as I was worried that we were going to drought. We started to develop the same weather pattern we had two years ago.

Nothing that even resembles rain! Ground is cracked, new ground disk only went in about an inch in the WW field, just enough to stir up some dust. Hay in one field has been on the ground 2 weeks and is so dry that it just turns to powder when it's raked, and that's when it has dew on it.
Yesterday I heard that they have army wroms hittting the fields and pastures up north.

dun

In 2004 - May was a record breaking month for the MOST amount of rain. Now, 2005, May is a record breaking month for the LEAST amount of rain.
Dun, why do you have hay on the ground 2 weeks - not dry enough to bale :shock: ?

We got over 2" over the weekend :) FINALLY!

It was so bad if you dropped a wrench working on your tractor and it
fell in a suncrack it was a goner :)

Actually soaked enough to get some runoff in the tanks :)

Downside: I had to help the wife to "Spring Cleaning®" for 3 days :mad:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":fy24jn5k said:
Dun, why do you have hay on the ground 2 weeks - not dry enough to bale :shock: ?

I'll do the Readers Digest version. Rake broke then the baler broke, then the tractor broke. By the time the baler was fixed we had so much other better hay down that we decided to bale it instead. The stuff that's down is nice hay but very, very fine and the baler won;t pick it up well now that it's so dry. The JD guy was supposed to bring me a try out small baler last thrursday to see how it worked, haven't seen it yet.
I just tedded it yesterday and figure if nothing else I'll just let the grass grow up through it, if we get any rain that is.

dun

Beefy":2avkbbi5 said:
it is very real i assure you. heres some methods of luring it:

1) get some crops that are ready to be harvested
2) pave yourself a parking lot. if you pave it, rain will come.
3) go to the beach or plan a fishing trip
4) wait until its wintertime

5) wash your truck
6) knock down your best hay field
7) have about 6-7 cows due to calf
8) leave all the windows down on your vehicles and leave your good leather boots sitting outside to get filled
9) fill in wash spots from the rain you got months ago

those should work, #s 5,8,9 did for us today, have a 100% chance of rain tonight

plbcattle":17bij3k1 said:
i was talking to this old timer today and he was describing this thing that makes grass grow. he said it is clear and falls from the sky. it makes you wet and makes grass grow.I haven't seen any so I was wondering if this mysterious rain creature is real or a hoax.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:30 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting out of the cattle business and I am going to sell water. I have got way more than I need. I can't recall ever getting this much rain in a 2 month timeframe. anybody got any tips on building an arc.

Just a few short months makes a big difference in our doesn't it? :roll:

It's been dry in S.W. Ark. also but we've gotten close to 5 inches in the last week or so.
;-)

Finally, it's raining here in Flatonia. It's rained most of the night. Don't know how much yet but it's good to have. If we could just get an inch a week that would be great. HA, that's not going to happen.

Dick

The weather man said that we had the dryest May in 17 years, the third recorded dryest May ever with just over 1" total rainfall for the month. Almost every day for the last week or so it would cloud up and look like it's about to pour-then it would clear up and get hot again. Finally, I woke up at 11:45 pm last night went outside and saw it was beginnning to sprinkle-when I got up at 4:00 am we were having a good steady rainfall. Thanks to the great spirit we finally have had a good one. It's supposed to rain all day and maybe some tomorrow. It's changed my whole attitude :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1.1" at noon today. It was a good slow rain. We were really getting dry around here. Pastures were browning up all around me. This will sure help with the hay crop.

As I type, my self emptying, electronic water gauge that Santa Claus brought to me last December says that .90 inches has fallen. I have enjoyed this gadget and I find myself going to look at it often when it is raining. Of course I have to announce it to everyone.

According to the experts (right at the moment I can't remember their job title), IF we get the usual yearly rainfall for this area, and the usual snowfall in winter each year, it will take a minimum of 3 years to get us back to where we should be as far as water tables, dam levels, etc are concerned. For those of you who have too much rain, please send it our way!

Latest posts