have you ever heard of this?? bull question

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz

Reaction score
hi everyone im new to your site! :D and neeed some advise

My husband has recently started working on a cattle property he has worked with cattle all his life in a feed lot/ fattening situation but not much in a breeding situation he came home disgusted the other day after the boss "tested" the propertys 30 bulls.

the reasons he was told this had to be done where to make sure the bull wanted to breed a cow?? :shock: to make sure the bull's hips could stand up to it :shock: and to make sure its penis wasnt broken! my reasoning is for starters its a bull of course it will mount a cow, if its hips are that bad why is it still a bull? and if something was wrong with its penis there would be an infection or it wouldnt retract or some way to tell other then making it mount a cow!

this was with cows that WERENT in season and hadnt been preg tested even though they had run with the bulls in the spring so there is every chance they are in calf!
there where 30 bulls and they used 6 head of cattle they ran the cows down a race and attached a headbale/crush to their heads the cow was then dragged by the crush into a yard they where terrifed they had never been in a head bail before let alone dragged around by one once 3 cows where in the yard they let in 3 bulls and left them in there until they had each raped one of the cows twice. in between mounting the cattle the bulls were fighting the risks to both them and the cows trapped by the crush's where huge the cows where falling over when the fighting bulls bashed into them and also when the bulls where mounting them they where falling down and fighting the crush trying to get away.
they put 10 bulls over each cow there was no control other then when the bull had not just mounted but actuallty penetreted the cow twice it was taken out of the yard. 1 of the bulls had an infected penis and was dripping pus but it was still allowed to penetrate cows twice, surely this would just spread the infection? and possibly make the cow, bull and whatever bulls penetrated her after it infertile?

i found this absoutly repolsive as did my husband i cant see a reason for it and have never heard of it before but then i dont know much about cattle!!
is there any need to "test" a bull? if so surely there is a much better way and the cows should be at least preg tested and in season????

Only bull test stations we have here ( I see you don't say where you are ) the bulls are given extra feed, exceedingly good care and even HSUS or PETA ( you are not a member are you ) would have to compliment us on how well our bulls are treated.

I hope this helps.

hey im in australia, bungendore nsw.
these bulls werent feed any extra or given extra care just taken out of the paddock yarded until they had "tested"them and put back in the paddock., apparantly they do it every year before they put the bulls in with the cows to make sure they will "want" to breed?? just didnt make any sense to me and seems bloody cruel the cows are terrified and torn by the time 10 bulls have been through them

nah im not a member of peta just someone who likes their animals and thinks anything living should be treated with respect and not abused or hurt specially for no good reason.
ive bred a few horses and there is noway you would put your mare through the stress and pain theses cows went through or your stallion in the dangerous situation the bulls where in eithier

We test our bulls every year. The reason is, if even one bull who looks good, has the gumtion to get up and go, is infertile for some reason can cost alot in lost $. It can delay or stretch out the calving season giving reason for less uniform calves. As well you can end up with more than expected open cows costing $
BUT
We do not test that way. We get the vet out. She measures the scrotum, trims the hair around the...,eloctro shocks them in the butt with very low voltage to stimulate them to "do it in a cup". From there they get the shots, and de wormed. She checks a slide of the semen under a microscope to check the viabilty of the semen. Are they alive, heads or tails detached, curled tails etc, and the amount of semen. Then she scores them on body condition and passed or fails them depending on all the information.

I should mention, all the while the bull is in the squeeze chute.

I should add the more you stress out a cow, the more likely she will delay cycling or not come into heat when she should.

ALX.":rb7ee5eu said:
Only bull test stations we have here ( I see you don't say where you are ) the bulls are given extra feed, exceedingly good care and even HSUS or PETA ( you are not a member are you ) would have to compliment us on how well our bulls are treated.

I hope this helps.

ALX, Maybe elaborate on a "test station" as that is different from doing an average semen test on a bull..???
I think that this (the above mentioned question) might have been a "test station" situation as well.. :roll: doesn't sound right and things might have been "lost in translation"... :?: JM2cents

hillsdown, I think ALX was referring to a bull test were the bulls are brought in by many different breeders and are put on feed to grow. During this time the test station staff are monitoring the bull and record data such as growth, feed intake, carcass scan etc etc. I think they have these in others countries than just the US. Sometimes there is a sale after them. But, I dont think I know a bull test that test with that criteria.

so rockridge the entire reason you test is fertility?? is there any other reason to test a bull? :?:

these bulls werent tested for fertility the cows werent in season werent accepting of the bull and with 10 bulls covering one cow there is no way even if the cow did get in calf if she wasnt already of knowing who sired it! they did this simply to make sure the bull would penetrate the cow with its penis no other reason

that's why we do it. We do not want to end up wit open cows when we bring the bulls in. It's part of our program.
One year we were going to put two bulls out with the herd. There was 60 animals. We thought on a lark to semen test. Never done it before. One of the two bulls failed due to curled tails. He was tested 3 weeks later and failed again.
Had we not tested and just put him out, our calving season would have bee compromised. It was something we worked reall hard on, getting a defined season. Since that time we have tested every year. For us it's part of our management program

rrc- We also do a BSE upon the purchase of a new bull or whenever a problem is suspected ie open cows

cowgirl whats a bse? best guess i can come up with is like a sperm count??

so from what answers you guys have given me there was no reason for what happened to these cows?

A multi faceted answer
First contact authorities and push for rape charges to be filed on these bulls and make sure none of the bulls are serial rapists. Also push to get these bulls listed on a sex offender registry.
Then you better get the cows checked out for diseases and see if any might need an abortion. Wouldn't want any of these rapist bulls calves running around in society. Then you had better send these cows to a good therapist.

thanks so much cowgirl! the link you just gave me tested for everything and so much more then these idiots tested for by raping cattle a minuim of 10 times each im gobsmacked that when there is such a complete and painfree test avalible they are putting their bulls cows and unborn calves at risk to save a vet bill! :x

user 1 your hilarious how bout i put your head in a crush let you be gang raped and then see what you think about the situation?

user 1 your hilarious how bout i put your head in a crush let you be gang raped and then see what you think about the situation?

Now let's see. That would make you a sex offender wouldn't it. :lol:

I have heard some women are into bondage, you are the first one I have seen admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts