Hauling steer to MO

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I am concerned about shipping fever or Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex.

CONDITIONS:

Ten hour trip. Five month old steer. Not weaned. Taking directly off of cow. Has been broke to creep feed. Has had two rounds of Covexin 8. So good there. Has had one vaccination of Bovi-Shield Gold FP5L5. That covers some of the virals that cause Bovine Respiratory Virus Complex such as BVD, PI3, IBR and BRSV. But not all of the Bovine Respiratory Viruses. I have never had respiratory problems on the farm. But I have never exposed a calf to this level of stress.

Does someone have advice on the risks of this trip on this steer?

I haul all the time. Almost never an issue. Keep the drivers side door closed, and keep moving. I have been known to give them loose white salt, the night before. May not make them drink, but they always seem to.

Bigfoot":33vhouc7 said:
I haul all the time. Almost never an issue. Keep the drivers side door closed, and keep moving. I have been known to give them loose white salt, the night before. May not make them drink, but they always seem to.

Thanks.

We have shipped 20 heifers per week for the last three weeks about 1000 miles. Now these are bigger heifers but not all are weaned and only about half were vaccinated. The guy at the feedyard they are going to vaccinated them all and gave them Zactran when they hit the ground. So far the only one that needed a follow up shot was for pinkeye which is pretty good for this weather so the Zactran must be working. What I'm trying to say is if you are really worried give him an antibiotic when he gets there.

Ojp6":31iprnjv said:
We have shipped 20 heifers per week for the last three weeks about 1000 miles. Now these are bigger heifers but not all are weaned and only about half were vaccinated. The guy at the feedyard they are going to vaccinated them all and gave them Zactran when they hit the ground. So far the only one that needed a follow up shot was for pinkeye which is pretty good for this weather so the Zactran must be working. What I'm trying to say is if you are really worried give him an antibiotic when he gets there.

Thanks. I looked up Zactran. THAT IS THE RIGHT ONE:

Zactran contains gamithromycin, a macrolide sub-class antimicrobial. For treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) associated with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni and Mycoplasma bovis, and for control of BRD associated with Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle. A single dose of Zactran provides up to 10 days BRD treatment and control. Administer one dose, 2 ml per 110 lbs. SQ in the neck, not to exceed 10 ml per injection site.

Edited to add: requires prescription

Look up Nasalgen. We always used it prior to loading up for shows where trip length and conditions were a concern. Seemed to work well. May be worth looking at...

Just curious. Why are you hauling just one steer so far? You see this with bulls and people selling larg groups of cattle but quite uncommon for a single steer.

rain dance":3kycadm1 said:
Just curious. Why are you hauling just one steer so far? You see this with bulls and people selling larg groups of cattle but quite uncommon for a single steer.

Not uncommon at all in the show steer world. Many of them criss cross the country several times before landing for terminal shows.

Latest posts