Harvest Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Today has been set as our slaughter date for 2 mos. Neighbor got everything plowed out real good for us a few days ago, then had at least 5" snow in the last 24 hrs. And all area roads are craapy. Slaughter guy wasn't sure he could get in, but chains saved the day. Will have hanging weights this evening on the 4 head. Eye-balling them, I think they are a bit smaller than we usually do them, but they are about 6 wks. younger than we normally take them to. 1 BA steer, one British White, and 2 that are Angus/BW cross. Should be good beef.

Was hoping I might fill my elk damage permit this morning (which is the real reason I stayed home from work today), but don't see any wandering around out there. The neighbor was going to run the 100 head or so off his place last night. Maybe they weren't inclined to leave the timothy and alfalfa fields under that snow -- digging for it is better than starving.

A little surprised today. Figured the black would hang heaviest. BA steer: 854; BW/Angus 864; BW/Angus 738; BW also 738. Smaller steers were a couple weeks behind the others. Still, okay w/ those weights, all grass fed until final 60 days on alf and grain.

Latest posts