Hard lumps on heifer's back

Help Support CattleToday:

EastTenn

Reaction score
My 3 y/o heifer has developed round lumps about 1 inch in diameter and approx. 3/4 inch high on the left and right side of the top of her back. Each side has approx. 15 of these lumps. She had a calf 4 months ago and has become kind of bony looking. She was in excellent health and physical appearance up until about 3 moths ago. I noticed these lumps 1 month ago although they may have been there a longer period of time.
Does anyone know what these might be and the treatment?
Please help as she is our pet heifer (bottle raised from stock barn)
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Dave

Sounds like a parasite. I would take her to the vet.

Could it be cattle grubs? They make a bump on the back prior to exiting the cow to complete their lifecyle (spring time).

Are heelfly cattle grubs a threat in your area? They are a problem in VA. Did you treat for grubs early last fall?

Without seeing them I'll go along with the grub (ox warble) theory. If you look very closely at the middle of the lump you should see a little hole. The easiest way to get rid of them is to pour them with a grubacide now, but that can be real mess. If you have access to any old glass soda bottles, I alwasy prefered the large Coke ones myself, you can put the opening over the lump and smack the bottom of the bottle hard with your hand. A couple of thumps and the grub will pop out into the bottle (gag). Or you can leave them alone and insure you treat with a grubacide shortly after heelfly season next fall.

dun

Depends on the area. Some places early spring, some later in the spring to early summer.

dun

Spring has sprung thats for sure. we got our first spring tornado today and 4 inches of rain!

I also think it sounds like grubs. I would be a little wary of treating with a grubacide. First, they have already done their damage to the animal. Second, grubs should only be killed in the first stage of migration, otherwise it is possible to kill the beefer with the treatment. You should never use a grub treatment any other time of the year, except after heelfly season, UNLESS, you have already treated at the proper time. Around here, we degrub/worm in October up to Nov 10. I can treat anytime after that, as long as I know they were degrubbed in the fall.

When we lived in Kansas, we used to "pop" them out. Since that time, I have read that it wasn't wise to do that because they cause a toxin. Hmm, never seemed to bother our cows in Kansas.

Latest posts