Hanging height

Help Support CattleToday:

J.sines

Reaction score
I'm going to build a boom truck for around my property and plan on raising some cows in the future. I would like to build the boom so I can pick up a cow after putting it down, to gut and start butchering it. I'm curious how high, the boom should be so that I can get a full cow hanging off the ground? Thank you for your time.

I'm going to build a boom truck for around my property and plan on raising some cows in the future. I would like to build the boom so I can pick up a cow after putting it down, to gut and start butchering it. I'm curious how high, the boom should be so that I can get a full cow hanging off the ground? Thank you for your time.

I helped a guy buying a slaughter house change the height of his hoist. The state required sixteen feet. Some cattle will need more than that... but as long as you stay away from Chianina and such you should be okay.

A big steer gets real tall, especially once you get some rigging in there
This one was over 12ft stretched out. 880 lbs hanging, my friend is 6'2" and looks like a midget

IMG_20220804_124439_057.jpg
View attachment 22513
Here's a ridiculous extreme.
I gave up on the sawsall, I use a chainsaw with veggie oil (or none) for the bar, way faster and less effort

The I-beam my hoist runs off is 14 ft. We have had cows over 2000lb and all have been comfortably off the ground.

Latest posts