Hanging Gates in block wall

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear56

Reaction score
I have to hang a gate on cinder block wall. Any suggestions would be helpful lol. I've considered using tap cons and wood. It's an end wall too, so I can't drill through and use a threaded j bolt through both sides of the block.

How long of gate? I personally wouldn't hang much over a 4' walk gate on the end of a block wall.
In concrete walls we make U-shaped brackets that clamp around wall and bolt through the wall 16" -18" away from the end.
If it's a long gate set a I-beam next to the wall and weld hinges on it.

When I can I always set a post. Either in the ground or on a weld plate is on a concrete slab. Then brace it to the wall. If not a option. I use a 4" by 1/4" steel flat bar. Or if on a corner angle iron. (Even better). The steel is going to be at least the full height of the gate. Usually much more. I personally use wedge anchors staggered about 8 " apart with epoxy.
Weld your hinges on

When I can I always set a post. Either in the ground or on a weld plate is on a concrete slab. Then brace it to the wall. If not a option. I use a 4" by 1/4" steel flat bar. Or if on a corner angle iron. (Even better). The steel is going to be at least the full height of the gate. Usually much more. I personally use wedge anchors staggered about 8 " apart with epoxy.
Weld your hinges on
I think fence is right (as usual). My experience is blocks are brittle. Completely perfict design for a down pressure. Completely wrong design for your application.

Back in my iron working days we would hang heavy dumpster gates similar to what fence described. We would us a 4 x 4 angle down each side all the way to the slab at the bottom. Then we would weld plate across these angles to make a three sided box column. Weld the hinges to that. You could get by with small fasteners on the angle because they didn't have any pull out problem, just a shear force..

One reason we did them this way was sooner or later the gates would get hit by the truck and would be removed. The plate and angle would stay and protect the end of the wall from further damage.

A wheel on the gate always helped.

How long of gate? I personally wouldn't hang much over a 4' walk gate on the end of a block wall.
In concrete walls we make U-shaped brackets that clamp around wall and bolt through the wall 16" -18" away from the end.
If it's a long gate set a I-beam next to the wall and weld hinges on it.
It's a 7' gate. There are some others that were put in around this barn a LONG time ago and I'm guessing they installed the hinges while laying the block and filled them with mortar. They are incredibly strong. I bent all my rebar for a concrete wall with one lol. I'm converting the bottom of my bank barn to cattle housing this winter. I can't deal with the damn mud anymore. Its got low ceilings and a complete concrete floor. I just have a section I don't want them in so I planned to hang a gate. May be easier to just frame in the opening

It's a 7' gate. There are some others that were put in around this barn a LONG time ago and I'm guessing they installed the hinges while laying the block and filled them with mortar. They are incredibly strong. I bent all my rebar for a concrete wall with one lol. I'm converting the bottom of my bank barn to cattle housing this winter. I can't deal with the damn mud anymore. Its got low ceilings and a complete concrete floor. I just have a section I don't want them in so I planned to hang a gate. May be easier to just frame in the opening
That sounds like a great idea.
It's always nice when you can get out of the darn mud.

Latest posts