Hang Time ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
There is an increase in direct beef sales in our area. One effect of this is that the standard hanging time at several of our local locker plants has gone from two weeks down to one week. :( Perhaps OK for burger but we aim higher than that. We have pushed back based on our customer beef quality feedback, and have been told that they can try put us at the end of the weeks work - - resulting in about 9 days of hang time... We may need to start looking for more distant processors.

Have you seen this situation, and do you have any suggestions?

Steve contact Oak Meadow meats there in harmony. Nothing but perfect comes out of that place.

Could you hang them yourself with temps we got for awhile? I know few lockers will take them like that

Got jammed up this year on a few. Would only hang 10 days instead of the usual 14. I requested 14 days when i dropped them off and voiced my displeasure when they called me early to tell me the beefs where ready for pick up. Assured me it would not happen again. :roll:

When I saw the title to this thread I thought someone had stole some of your cattle.

I had one killed two weeks ago today. They called for cutting instructions a couple days ago and said it would probably get cut up tomorrow.

Lots of bobbing and weaving here - - "will try", "have to talk to the manager", "depends"...

My wife has been handling the instructions but I think an intervention is coming soon. She is too nice to deal with this kind of bull.

I picked up my beef today. 17 days since the kill so it hung 14 or 15 days. What got me although I am not surprised was the cost of cutting and wrapping. It was $0.79 a pound. I realize it was half a century ago but when I was in high school I sold locker beef for $0.73 a pound hanging and the cut and wrap cost 4 cents. I got $2.00 a pound for the other half of this beef. So the beef cost a little less than 3 times what it did in 1969 but the cut and wrap is 20 times higher. If I didn't know better I would think farmers and ranchers are getting screwed.

Latest posts