Show Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Hauled 350km to weigh. That sure takes care of the shrink.
I cant imaging the weight loss on over 600 head .
Calves look great. Gonna be a big job of sorting and hauling.

Last edited:
Hauled 350km to weigh. That sure takes care of the shrink.
I cant imaging the weight loss on over 600 head .
Calves look great. Gonna be a big job of sorting and hauling.
One of the reasons we get paid so well for them. Teaching them to eat hay for a few days before weaning and filling them up the night before helps a bunch.

I am with you. It is 30 miles to the nearest grocery store, gas station, or any other type of service. And I like it that way.
We are closer, about 25 miles to the burg of Anahim Lake.

We are closer, about 25 miles to the burg of Anahim Lake.
The 30 miles is to Baker City. Head the other direction and it is 50 miles to Ontario. Well there is a new truck stop at Fare Well Bend which half way to Ontario. But if you plan on stopping there it would be best to rob a bank or win the lottery before going there.

I have 2 stockyards within 15 minutes, 6 stockyards within 2 hours and 10 within 3 hours.
Here in the west distance is normally measured in time rather than miles. The two closest are both about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Caldwell is about the same but it is across state line so there is the whole issue of brand inspection and that is the edge of the general Boise area heavy traffic. It is also in a different time zone and they start real early on top of losing an hour. Hermiston is about about 2.5 hours going there and you have to climb Cabbage Hill coming back this way. I wouldn't want to drag a full trailer of cows back up that grade. Next one after that is Madras which has got to be 5 hours away. Toppenish is 4 hours but that is in Washington so there is the brand thing and good old Cabbage Hill to climb.

Do you have to have a brand inspection every time you cross state lines.
Yes, Now coming from the sale with cattle you have bought you will have the brand inspection from the sale. But taking one from home to cross the state line you need a brand inspection from the home state.

Yes, Now coming from the sale with cattle you have bought you will have the brand inspection from the sale. But taking one from home to cross the state line you need a brand inspection from the home state.
Is there someone at the state line or is that done before you leave the farm?

Is there someone at the state line or is that done before you leave the farm?
You are supposed to schedule a brand inspector to come to your place. A couple years ago I helped B haul 3 trailer loads of steers to a feed yard owned by his brother that is just across the state line in Idaho. He didn't have them inspected. A couple weeks later the Oregon brand inspector was all over his case. I don't know the final out come but I think he got fined. I don't remember how they found out about this. His brother has a ranch in Oregon and a feedyard in Idaho. He must run up a bill paying for the brand inspections.
It is not like they are inspecting every truck at the border. But on occasions they will sit at the weigh stations and want to see paper work.

I live 6 miles from Tennessee and 23 miles from Ky and haul cattle across the state line a lot. We have no brand requirements but it sure would be a problem here.

Latest posts