Show Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Any livestock coming into Wyoming need health certificates plus brand papers and most states around us require health certs, so have to get the vet and brand inspector to look at cattle before shipping out of state.

Rules for health papers (CVI) for shipping cattle between states are not simple. Some categories of livestock require them and some may not depending on a list of questions that vary depending on which states are involved. Age of cattle, type facility they are going to, intact or not, beef or dairy, breeders or feeders, direct to slaughter, and more can affect the requirements. The poor vet writing the health papers is expected to know all the rules for every state. That can be pretty complicated for a sale of breeding cattle being shipped across the country.

Here is a website that allows you to input the state of origin and the destination state, answer some questions and get some insight into what is required. For instance, shipping cattle from a farm in Virginia to an approved livestock market in Tennessee requires a CVI issued within 30 days of entry. Shipping cattle from Virginia to Kentucky for rodeo or a show requires official ID ( silver tags in ear or EID) and a CVI. But shipping beef feeder cattle that are not intact between those two states to an approved livestock market does not require a CVI or ID. If they are intact, a CVI is required. If they are "dairy" feeders, then CVI and ID required. How can the auction barn operator keep up with all those criteria? I suspect that there may be some "mistakes" made sometimes on meeting the requirements.

I live 6 miles from Tennessee and 23 miles from Ky and haul cattle across the state line a lot. We have no brand requirements but it sure would be a problem here.
But you don't live in an area where cows turned out in the spring might show up in someone else's corral 25+ miles away in the fall. Hasn't happened to me yet but it has happened to all of my neighbors at one time or another. The farthest I have had one stray is about 5 or 6 miles. Brands bring them home. They also keep those who find them from selling them.

Rules for health papers (CVI) for shipping cattle between states are not simple. Some categories of livestock require them and some may not depending on a list of questions that vary depending on which states are involved. Age of cattle, type facility they are going to, intact or not, beef or dairy, breeders or feeders, direct to slaughter, and more can affect the requirements. The poor vet writing the health papers is expected to know all the rules for every state. That can be pretty complicated for a sale of breeding cattle being shipped across the country.

Here is a website that allows you to input the state of origin and the destination state, answer some questions and get some insight into what is required. For instance, shipping cattle from a farm in Virginia to an approved livestock market in Tennessee requires a CVI issued within 30 days of entry. Shipping cattle from Virginia to Kentucky for rodeo or a show requires official ID ( silver tags in ear or EID) and a CVI. But shipping beef feeder cattle that are not intact between those two states to an approved livestock market does not require a CVI or ID. If they are intact, a CVI is required. If they are "dairy" feeders, then CVI and ID required. How can the auction barn operator keep up with all those criteria? I suspect that there may be some "mistakes" made sometimes on meeting the requirements.

So how about hauling bulls from South Carolina to Virginia and Tennessee

I'm hopefully carrying lambs up to NC next weekend and I am not checking a single law, the government can kiss my 🌕
Im picking up a horse trailer at 8am tomorrow morning in Rockwell NC and its going to Oklahoma City tomorrow night but im going to stop here and someone else goes from here.

I opened the website. I can haul them from South Carolina to Tennessee and Tennessee to Virginia but not to Virginia.
You may need to move to a less repressive state. :)

Looks like we will need an 840 RFID tag, health papers and a permit from Virginia to be legal. I know a vet that might give me a discount. We can probably make it work.

Most people here get those custom printed ear tags and have their phone number on it. Makes it easier for the other guy to get in touch with you when your cow shows up a long ways from home.

Anyone that doesn't already know. Do not cross the Florida border with any animal, hay, fruit, vegetable or and agricultural product without stopping at the AG check station. There is a station on every road so no missing it. They will run you down. No excuses.
Yes. most every state that has TB racing has a lot stricter policy on hauling horses than Ga has. Don't know about cattle. Most every time I have hauled cattle across state lines it has been for someone else, and they handed me the paperwork. I have never had to get the papers myself, so I don't really know what is required.

You got that right about Florida! Couple of years ago I was hauling a horse from Chattanooga to Sarasota. The trucker in front of me at the Ag check station had a monkey that rode with him, and apparently he didn't have some document or certificate he needed. Held us all up nearly an hour before they told him to pull up so the rest of us could be checked and sent down the road. Last I heard the driver say when he was on the phone with someone, was that he was going to have to stay there til the next day when he could hire a vet to come do whatever it was that he needed. He was hauling alfalfa hay to Sarasota, too. So that's why he stopped.

It was a good Frida after having our excavator burn up and losing a good cow dog on our 43 anniversary July 12. Excavator insured….IMG_0292.jpegIMG_0291.jpegIMG_0294.jpegIMG_5167.png

Latest posts