Best time to sell

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
When is the best time to sell? Do I want to list on a for sale site or haul them to a cattle auction? Do I sell all or most so I don't have to buy hay all winter and buy new cows in the spring. Please help a sistah out...clueless. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Thank ya'll have a bless evening. 🐄🐃🐂

Chevy said:
When is the best time to sell? Do I want to list on a for sale site or haul them to a cattle auction? Do I sell all or most so I don't have to buy hay all winter and buy new cows in the spring. Please help a sistah out...clueless. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Thank ya'll have a bless evening. 🐄🐃🐂
What specifically do you have to sell? That will make the difference as to when to sell, what to sell and where to sell.

Luckiamute said:
Chevy said:
What specifically do you have to sell? That will make the difference as to when to sell, what to sell and where to sell.
Mostly all the steers...I have 3 heifers that's just overly friendly and pig hogs when it comes to food. They are always boss hogging. Yes I do love them and love they are friendly. It was very cute when they were small ... s$#% 600 lbs heifers actting like they are little puppies isn't all fun and games if you feel me.

Meet Maxine... I named her after one my old teachers. ❤

Don't know your specific area; but; several of the animals look to be dairy crosses? Bottle calves that you raised? The friendliness is a 2 edged sword. If you sell at the stockyards, they may appear "slow or lethargic" hurting the price. The dairy crosses will also take a hit here, but may not in your area.
One factor to be considering is that the futures prices on corn keeps going up. Losses from the flooding, plus fields that farmers could not get into also due to the water, has reduced the predictions significantly. When corn futures go up, the cost of grain (feed) will go up. That will determine what a feeder is willing to pay for feeder cattle. It will go down. We are looking to take a significant hit this fall on 5-600 lb feeders due to the much higher projected costs of feed.
I would check at a couple of local markets and see what things are bringing.... but probably sooner rather than later unless you have alot of grass. Again, that grass may be more valuable for you to keep fewer animals longer into the fall/winter, and reducing you needed hay for the animals you keep.

Hopefully yesterday was good on a couple that had to be culled. :lol: Noticed that the only extra comment on the report for that barn this AM is that there was discounts on calves with extra hair. And bred cows were about the same as slaughter.

Not telling anyone anything new, but the pictured calves will suffer on price at a barn. Dairy cross, muscling, hair coat, ... are all against you. If the heifers are good and you plan to use a black bull you could use them as replacement heifers and probably salvage more value out of them than to sell them now. Or find a private buyer who wants them. Otherwise the market is what is is and you will not like the results.