• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good time to buy some feeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I don't have a crystal ball, but have been thinking about buying some feeders in the near future. I usually start buying some heifers to go along with my spring ones, around this time of year. Most of those are kept to sell as breds after culling some out. I have been thinking of bringing in a few more and wintering them and selling them in the spring, with the hope that they might make a little. Do y'all think that would be a somewhat of a decent idea. I would probably try to buy around 450-500 lbs.

callmefence

Reaction score
I know it's not what you ask, but I think cows are the thing to buy right now.
You can buy skinny cows for way less. Than a 450 calf right now.
Should gain both in weight and price by spring. .
We'd call a calf that size a stocker not a feeder fwiw.

bird dog

Reaction score
I agree with fence, well somewhat. Buy mid age short breds to calve in the spring. There is so much hay available you can feed them through the winter for $75. Let the cow get fat and the and the calf grow up with the spring flush. Sell both before it gets hot. From what I have seen, there is not much price difference in the mid age short breds and the old broke mouths to take the risk on the old cows.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Better 5 wt heifers are U$S 1.50 to 1.60 here. Much higher than last year, when they bottomed at $1 for 6 wts..

Low kill cow prices (any idea why?) seems to be draggin down bred cow prices. I don't want more cows - - but I think selling heavy calves and buying short breds has been a good trade.

OP
Ky hills

Ky hills

Reaction score
callmefence":3t20n8ga said:

I have never bought cows like that before, but have often thought it might be a good idea. Heard a agriculture college speaker tell about yearly trends in weigh cow prices, seemed to imply that they could make money especially in a certain time period.
You are likely correct with the term stocker, I hear some refer to calves as that, and it makes sense that the larger calves ready to go into a feedlot would be called feeders. Must be a regional term, but most call them feeders here. At the stockyards when a calf is sold by the pound they are listed as feeders, even 3-400 lbs.

Allenw

Reaction score
bird dog":2io3j3dr said:
I agree with fence, well somewhat. Buy mid age short breds to calve in the spring. There is so much hay available you can feed them through the winter for $75. Let the cow get fat and the and the calf grow up with the spring flush. Sell both before it gets hot. From what I have seen, there is not much price difference in the mid age short breds and the old broke mouths to take the risk on the old cows.

I always done better with solid mouth cows then broken mouthed cows. I usually was feeding some sorry hay I couldn't sell. I always sold them in the spring rush for replacements, which is March to early April here. I always tried to sell them as pairs and bought accordingly.

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
callmefence":334vhi4f said:

Fence, are you buying these cows as breds or out of the killer pen by the pound? I have done that several times, buy by the pound and have the vet come out and preg check. Raise a calf and sell them the next fall. With the cost of vet fees, I wonder if its cheaper just to buy them checked.

callmefence

Reaction score
midTN_Brangusman":1s9ev226 said:
callmefence":1s9ev226 said:

Fence, are you buying these cows as breds or out of the killer pen by the pound? I have done that several times, buy by the pound and have the vet come out and preg check. Raise a calf and sell them the next fall. With the cost of vet fees, I wonder if its cheaper just to buy them checked.

Typically I buy breds at about 10percent over slaughter.

Things are different..there's a big spread between slaughter and breds. As much as 35 percent. I think I might buy some really poor skinnys and put them on oat pasture for the winter. I might not even put a bull with em. Maybe get a cheap bull.
Thing about cows is price per pound goes up with gain. Stockers go down with gain.

One thing I look for is a reason for the cow to be poor. Like coming off rough summer forage and looks like just had a calf split off. As long as I think I can see a reason for her to be poor. I feel there's a good chance she'll gain.

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Typically I buy breds at about 10percent over slaughter.

Things are different..there's a big spread between slaughter and breds. As much as 35 percent. I think I might buy some really poor skinnys and put them on oat pasture for the winter. I might not even put a bull with em. Maybe get a cheap bull.
Thing about cows is price per pound goes up with gain. Stockers go down with gain.

One thing I look for is a reason for the cow to be poor. Like coming off rough summer forage and looks like just had a calf split off. As long as I think I can see a reason for her to be poor. I feel there's a good chance she'll gain.[/quote]

Always sound advice, thank you :tiphat:

Latest posts