Hamburger patties

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
I have been using the premade patties that you get at the store. They don't have much flavor. I bought one of those tubes of hamburger meat because it was on sale and I wanted to make my own patties. I cut that thing open last night to make hamburgers and it was sooooo fatty that I started not to use it. (I normally buy the leanest meat I can find). I was already set to have hamburgers for supper so I decided to go ahead and use it. That hamburger was delicious, the best I have had in a long time. My husband thought they were excellent also.

That got me to thinking about what percent of fat I should have in the hamburger meat from the calf we will butcher. What % do you use?

Fat is where the flavor is, that is why we want marbled steaks. I don't know what % our HB was from ours we had butchered but it sure was good. Does your butcher ask you what % you want? Ours didn't and I didn't even think to ask.

We haven't ever butchered one. I know I want some fat in there. Yum. :D

Bad thing about it was that I had to put water on the grill because of the flare ups. It was worth it though.

We have ours done 90:10
To prevent flarups when you're grilling fatty meats or those that dry out to quickly, put a aluminum 9X11 baking pan on the coals and keep water in it. Let the grease drop into the pan instead of directly on the fire.
Tri-tip and flank steak dry out pretty fast, but grilled over a pan of water they stay moist

The fat content varies from animal to animal...just like people, some cows ae just plain fatter than others.
We try to produce 85% lean burger and most of the time it runs a bit leaner...real lean burger isn't good for burgers, they come off as tough...need the fat for the juicyness.
DMc

Those pre-made pressed burgers don't taste worth squat. You want the patties to be just a little tighter than a pile of hamburger for the best burgers.

I use either an 80/20 or 85/15 for burgers but if I am making something on the stove or in the oven I use 93/7 that way there is less fat to drain.

Gate Opener":36ct87uy said:
I have been using the premade patties that you get at the store. They don't have much flavor. I bought one of those tubes of hamburger meat because it was on sale and I wanted to make my own patties. I cut that thing open last night to make hamburgers and it was sooooo fatty that I started not to use it. (I normally buy the leanest meat I can find). I was already set to have hamburgers for supper so I decided to go ahead and use it. That hamburger was delicious, the best I have had in a long time. My husband thought they were excellent also.

That got me to thinking about what percent of fat I should have in the hamburger meat from the calf we will butcher. What % do you use?

An 85-15 mix on the burger will give you flavor and still be considered lean by industry standards. If you bought burger at the store that looked fatty it could have been as much as 25% fat, and yes it would have tasted great. Fat tastes great too bad it's not good for us.

Fatty meat (among other things) is why the USA has a serious overweight problem, including all the overweight kids.

Now...I'll take everyone's hits... ;-)

We only use our own Longhorn ground beef (and other cuts). Our GB is 95-98% lean. Slow cooked, sear on both sides first. Add some season salt, terriyaki, other marinates as desired. Very little shrink in skillet or on grill. None of that "greasy" taste of the 70-90% lean ground beef found in supermarkets. And, very little waste due to cooking all that fat out of the meat.

Running Arrow Bill":1wtpm78f said:
We only use our own Longhorn ground beef (and other cuts). Our GB is 95-98% lean. Slow cooked, sear on both sides first. Add some season salt, terriyaki, other marinates as desired. Very little shrink in skillet or on grill. None of that "greasy" taste of the 70-90% lean ground beef found in supermarkets. And, very little waste due to cooking all that fat out of the meat.

That is too lean for my tastes. 80/20 or 85/15 is a happy mix. I have seen 73/27 mix in tubes as well as 80/20.

Don't know what % ours is.......

The butcher always asks "add more fat in with that" about the hamburger. Most people do / we don't.

Lean hamburger meat. Tastes great!

I've had some of that 73/27 from the grocery store and it's like eating lard from the tub. To each his own!

grannysoo":bz10jk2x said:
Don't know what % ours is.......

The butcher always asks "add more fat in with that" about the hamburger. Most people do / we don't.

Lean hamburger meat. Tastes great!

I've had some of that 73/27 from the grocery store and it's like eating lard from the tub. To each his own!

Fatty ground beef is fine...if you chase each bite with a glass of Vinegar! And, don't mind losing a lot of the meat to "shrink".

Running Arrow Bill":1mz9dakb said:
Fatty meat (among other things) is why the USA has a serious overweight problem, including all the overweight kids.

You could always spend $50 buy a deer license and go shoot one and have 100 pounds of exactly the same thing as your longhorns extra lean red meat. Add some salt, terriyaki, and other marinates so it will taste like something.

The regular style "Bubba Burgers" aren't bad when your in a pinch. I've never tried the others. They may be good as well.

Running Arrow Bill":1ia5qn9f said:

If you don;t like beef taste why not eat chicken instead? I've never figured out why people have to camoflauge the taste of what they eat.

dun":wdmd29kw said:
Running Arrow Bill":wdmd29kw said:

If you don;t like beef taste why not eat chicken instead? I've never figured out why people have to camoflauge the taste of what they eat.

Not everyone likes any food "as is". The rest of the World (including the many gourmet restaurants) use a lot of seasonings in their preparations of entrees. I was merely suggesting some "options" to add to Longhorn (as well as other beef).

In my case, due to neurosurgery in '98 I lost about 75% of my taste awareness; thus, for me, I use a lot of spices, etc., in my food to be able to taste something...whether or not it is beef, chicken, pork. I don't like bland food...

If someone is just a "salt & pepper" person...fine. If not, they add as many spices as they want.

That's only part of it. General lifestyle, (of which fatty food is a part) such as sitting on their butts 12 hours a day in front of the TV, computer, or playing video games and only getting up to walk to the refigerator also plays a large part.

Discussing personal tastes is akin to discussing favorite color. To each his own. They only way you'll ever know what you like best is to try other things. Varity is the spice of life. IMHO

dcara":1aplxaux said:

That's only part of it. General lifestyle, (of which fatty food is a part) such as sitting on their butts 12 hours a day in front of the TV, computer, or playing video games and only getting up to walk to the refigerator also plays a large part.

Discussing personal tastes is akin to discussing favorite color. To each his own. They only way you'll ever know what you like best is to try other things. Varity is the spice of life. IMHO

When I was a kid, even the neighbors that didn;t have livestock still weren;t fat. Right behind, put on clean underwear in case you're in an accident, stop doing that or you'll go blind, was go outside and play!
I also think that the urbanization of the population has had a negative affect because folks don;t have back yard gardens, or other things to do that require exercise.
When the grand kids come to visit it's like pulling teeth to get them to go outside and play. After a couple of days they'll disappear outside and all you hear is them running and hoopiing it up, climbing trees, wandering through the pastures and woods. The still don;t do kick the can, or any of the other games we played as kids.