hamburger fat

Help Support CattleToday:

ky colonel

Reaction score
just took a hereford cow to process for burger(first thing i have had processed). had it all made in burger and didnt know to tell them to make 80/20 or 90/10. so everything got ground. i did this for resale, do i still have a good product to sale? To the ones that do this what % fat do you usually get made into burger?

First thing to do is ask the processor about what he thinks the ration is. The amount of fat is an individual thing. Some really like the 80/20 (supposedly more flavor) other like 90/10 (supposedly less waste)

I don't know what ours is. Never asked. But it all taste good. I'm sure every butcher has a different mix.

I always ask to have mine done at 95/5, real lean and makes hardly any grease when cooking as my customers want that. Just enough fat to give a little fat flavor to the meat. They say if I want more grease i'll add some oil. More waste when I have a really big fat cow but a little smaller one makes as much burger with less waste. Have had some first timers call and ask why it don't make grease and have to explain it to them. One lady even added some shtufff from walmart :shock: to get more grease.

ky colonel":htqcdzbj said:
took a hereford cow to process for burger... had it all made in burger everything got ground.
Do I still have a good product to sale?
I'm betting you have a Very Good product to sell! Make some hamburgers tonight and find out for yourself.
Then you will know first hand the quality and won't have to wonder am I selling 'em high quality or junk.

Had a steer ground 90-10 a few years ago. Way too lean for my tastes. had trouble getting the burgers to stay together on the grill or in the skillet and didn't have much taste either.

(I also hate buying sausage in the store any more. It's so lean nowadays, that the last Owens and Jimmy Dean I bought didn't leave near enough grease in the skillet to make gravy with)

greybeard":2mzj6qzj said:
(I also hate buying sausage in the store any more. It's so lean nowadays, that the last Owens and Jimmy Dean I bought didn't leave near enough grease in the skillet to make gravy with)

Yep. If you start off with grease it will suck it up too. I've bought wright's bacon that will do the same thing.

greybeard":1niyzmdk said:
Had a steer ground 90-10 a few years ago. Way too lean for my tastes. had trouble getting the burgers to stay together on the grill or in the skillet and didn't have much taste either.

I've been raising our own pork for years. All the folks who have bought some, love it and while they have mentioned how much fat is in the sausage, they say its some of the best they've had in years.

Craig Miller":2wg3te6i said:
greybeard":2wg3te6i said:

Yep. If you start off with grease it will suck it up too. I've bought wright's bacon that will do the same thing.
That's the reason I still have a can of bacon grease. I use that to make up for what isn;t in the sausage.

thanks everyone. we picked it up yesterday and made burgers last night. they was great.

Latest posts