• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Remove fat from hamburger in the kitchen

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
617
Reaction score
0
Location
Mid-Georgia
I think this is fascinating. For those who need to watch there total fat, saturated and cholesterol intake, this article describes a technique on how to remove fat from ground beef and other meats. I have read the original paper in the New England Journal of Medicine and this is the real deal.

I have used this method twice and it really works while keeping that good beef flavor. Of course, one could ask, why not just eat grass-fed beef instead? I really do not care for grass-fed. We produce grain fed here, thus we now have a technique if our meat plant doesn't trim the fat like we ask. :banana:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A967958260

Happy Holidays.

Billy
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Why not just start with 5-6% fat in the burger for starters?
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
MrBilly":nyypo1oe said:
I think this is fascinating. For those who need to watch there total fat, saturated and cholesterol intake, this article describes a technique on how to remove fat from ground beef and other meats. I have read the original paper in the New England Journal of Medicine and this is the real deal.

I have used this method twice and it really works while keeping that good beef flavor. Of course, one could ask, why not just eat grass-fed beef instead? I really do not care for grass-fed. We produce grain fed here, thus we now have a technique if our meat plant doesn't trim the fat like we ask. :banana:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A967958260

Happy Holidays.

Billy
Eat Piedmontese = low fat, low cholesterol, lean - tender - juicy meat naturally.
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
Red Bull Breeder":2l63qabi said:
Now CKC don't be trying to swipe my pitch. i was here first. :lol: :lol:
Well, sorry about that. Looks like maybe the Limis have much in common with the Pieds????
Can't imagine boiling burger in oil to make it healthy!YUK!!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
CKC1586":1jmd8erb said:
Can't imagine boiling burger in oil to make it healthy!YUK!!

I thought that was called deep fat frying, like french frys.
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
Red Bull Breeder":yddqut5s said:
Didn't sound like a good idea to me either CKC. Never had that problem with Limi beef.
Kinda perplexing ain't it? There are enough breeds out there that have naturally healthy low fat beef that folks can choose from it makes this kind of stuff sound crazy. I guess we need to do a better job at marketing it??
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,264
Reaction score
28
Location
Central Texas
The New York Times
Friday, December 26, 2008

Eating Well

By DENSIE WEBB; DENSIE WEBB, A FREELANCE WRITER AND EDITOR, IS A REGISTERED DIETITIAN.
Published: January 23, 1991


?Republishning an 18 year old article? in a "newspaper" :?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
1982vett":2ywrx20h said:
The New York Times
Friday, December 26, 2008

Eating Well

By DENSIE WEBB; DENSIE WEBB, A FREELANCE WRITER AND EDITOR, IS A REGISTERED DIETITIAN.
Published: January 23, 1991


?Republishning an 18 year old article? in a "newspaper" :?

Slow news day!
 
OP
MrBilly

MrBilly

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
617
Reaction score
0
Location
Mid-Georgia
dun":2c98u6ek said:
Why not just start with 5-6% fat in the burger for starters?


IF you can get this with well marbled steers and a good butcher, more power to you. Sometimes things just don't work out and you have a bunch of hamburger and this is a way to reduce the fat.

Billy
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
I'm having good success with our angus in the fat department. Perhaps it also has to do with the processing plant not adding extra fat to the meat.

So much of the fat content in hamburger meat comes from the additional fat that is added to the meat to make more pounds. Don't think for a minute that Wally-World or any of the others are having different cows with different fat content. All depends on how much more fat you throw in...
 

RD-Sam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
0
Or you could just buy ground round or ground chuck, very little fat in either of those. No way I would go through all of that to fix something to eat, way too much trouble.
 

Jim62

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
0
Location
Round Top, Texas
That article is sure outdated. Makes good fodder for the vegetarians, though. Beef is really BAD for you. I think modern research has pretty much blown this out of the water. Just buy the meat with only 5 or 10 percent fat. Problem solved!

Kind of reminds me of the "handy devices" section in the Progressive Farmer magazine. Some of the devices may work, but many of them are obviously untested, and products of overactive imaginations. A farmer can tell at a glance that they can not possibly work as described. But, that's another story for another day.....

Just eat brisket, and don't worry about the fat content. The fat in beef brisket is actually good for you. :cowboy:
 

Latest posts

Top