Halloween

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There are almost no kids around here to trick or treat. Only 3 within a 10-20 mile radius. So my next door neighbors who are in their 30's came up with an idea. They dressed up and started driving door to door passing out candy. And they have some driving to do. There is a dozen or so ranches and about 10 houses in "town". We are the furthest one to the west. The furthest one to the east is about 12 miles from here. I was really surprise when I saw head lights coming down the driveway. We don't have one visitor a month and have never had anyone show up after dark.

Dave said:
There are almost no kids around here to trick or treat. Only 3 within a 10-20 mile radius. So my next door neighbors who are in their 30's came up with an idea. They dressed up and started driving door to door passing out candy. And they have some driving to do. There is a dozen or so ranches and about 10 houses in "town". We are the furthest one to the west. The furthest one to the east is about 12 miles from here. I was really surprise when I saw head lights coming down the driveway. We don't have one visitor a month and have never had anyone show up after dark.

And I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, but it sounds like you have me beat. I came up with an idea last night too; I stayed at home.

Back in the 80s -90s we had the kids..but this area has gotten so ""skid rowed""the last few years.. ain't nobody that cares about their kids ,gonna kick em out in it...these homes got spooky decorations year round..

When i grew up we didn't even know what halloween was. But as we are being "Americanised" here now it seems to be getting bigger ever year. Being staunchly Aussie i don't have anything to do with it......but my wife is a different story and i came home from work to this. My resistance became a little weaker as the kids showered me in lollies and chocolates.....

We did an inside "trunk or treat" at church. In our small town of about 800, we had over 300 kids come through. The older folks in the church love it. They get to see everybody and visit without being out in the cold. We did it outside last year, but the temperature dropped to the 30's yesterday, so we moved inside.

herofan said:
Dave said:

And I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, but it sounds like you have me beat. I came up with an idea last night too; I stayed at home.
We aren't in the middle of nowhere. It is only 30 miles to a big town with all the services. Go south of here and you can find ranches where it is that far to the nearest neighbor. The wife had a ranch down there, the driveway was 14 miles long. The closest grocery store was a 2 hour drive. Distances are measured in time to travel not miles. And speed limits are optional.

crossbredcalves said:
We did an inside "trunk or treat" at church. In our small town of about 800, we had over 300 kids come through. The older folks in the church love it. They get to see everybody and visit without being out in the cold. We did it outside last year, but the temperature dropped to the 30's yesterday, so we moved inside.

They have one at our church. They do it inside with lots of games and stuff for the kids. But it is about a 32 mile drive for us so we don't participate.

History of Halloween in America and how it came to be.
https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/history-halloween-america/

ALACOWMAN said:
hurleyjd said:
How long would it take for an Ambulance to get to you in case of an emergency.
id have life flights number on hand...

We have life flight insurance. It cost about $120 a year. Ambulance? My guess is they are based somewhere near the hospital. That is about 34 miles from here. About 25 of those miles are freeway and there is no traffic to deal with so I guess it depends on how fast they drive. There is no fire department coverage here either. Actually you live in an area like this in an emergency you don't wait for an ambulance. Put them in a vehicle and drive.

Dave said:
We aren't in the middle of nowhere. It is only 30 miles to a big town with all the services. Go south of here and you can find ranches where it is that far to the nearest neighbor. The wife had a ranch down there, the driveway was 14 miles long. The closest grocery store was a 2 hour drive. Distances are measured in time to travel not miles. And speed limits are optional.

That still seems middle of nowhere to me, and I never thought I'd say that. Everybody who visits my area from anywhere at all always jokes about how dead it is, and they always have the famous question, "what is there to do around here?" There's not a house in sight where I live, and I joke that where I live looks like a good setting for a horror movie; however, I'm 5 miles from a Mayberry-type town with grocery stores, farm supply, schools, restaurants, etc. I'm also within 15 miles of three slightly larger towns with hospitals and Wal-Marts.

I love seclusion and privacy, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy being 2 hours from a grocery and 30 miles to the next house. I'm not putting it down at all, I'm just surprised. I guess one learns something every day.

We have life flight insurance. It cost about $120 a year. Ambulance? My guess is they are based somewhere near the hospital. That is about 34 miles from here. About 25 of those miles are freeway and there is no traffic to deal with so I guess it depends on how fast they drive. There is no fire department coverage here either. Actually you live in an area like this in an emergency you don't wait for an ambulance. Put them in a vehicle and drive.
Yes..self reliance..maybe a "nearby' neighbor to help, but otherwise, it's good old American foresight. Lots of people think "I'm only 20-30 minutes from the hospital" but never consider for an ambulance to get them there, it has to come form somewhere, so you have to double the time involved since it's a round trip for the ambulance. I can be at the good hospital in Kingwood in about 20 minutes but it would take at least that long for the ambulance to even get to my house and then it's 'hope' they can stabilize me.. IOW, I can be wheeled into a good ER before an ambulance even arrives at my house.
AirMed is an option here only during daylight...they'd never find me at night.

greybeard said:
Yes..self reliance..maybe a "nearby' neighbor to help, but otherwise, it's good old American foresight. Lots of people think "I'm only 20-30 minutes from the hospital" but never consider for an ambulance to get them there, it has to come form somewhere, so you have to double the time involved since it's a round trip for the ambulance. I can be at the good hospital in Kingwood in about 20 minutes but it would take at least that long for the ambulance to even get to my house and then it's 'hope' they can stabilize me.. IOW, I can be wheeled into a good ER before an ambulance even arrives at my house.
AirMed is an option here only during daylight...they'd never find me at night.

It is 34 miles and there are 3 stop signs. Two of those stop signs you could pretty much roll through. And in a real emergency those 25 miles on the freeway 100 mph is not out of the question. It is reasonably straight and no traffic. What traffic there is is probably doing 80. Being to the hospital in less than 30 minutes is not out of the question. Even life flight will take longer than that to get here.

I am only 5 miles from the interstate. On the road in front of my house it is 15 miles to the west to the next ranch A hundred years ago there was a thriving little town. But the gold mines shut down. So now there is just a few scattered ranches. There is a cement mine and plant here which is the largest employer in the county but almost none of their employees live here. They mostly live in Baker City and commute. This county is larger than the state of Delaware. The population is about 16,000. 9,000 of those people live in Baker City which is 30 miles from here. There are 7 other incorporated towns in the county several of those don't even have a gas station. One is actually a ghost town. None of them have what I would call a grocery store. Maybe a convenience store that sells a few grocery items. What there is a lot of is open space. And cows. And wildlife. And sage brush.

herofan said:
I love seclusion and privacy, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy being 2 hours from a grocery and 30 miles to the next house. I'm not putting it down at all, I'm just surprised. I guess one learns something every day.

My neighbor is from Jordan Valley, OR, look it up. It's about an hour from "town." I'm meeting the town through work b/c we are the closest family practice facility and there's about 400 folks living there. I'm pretty sure I've met about half of them. Anyway, when they come here for doctor's appointments they all go shopping b/c it's so far out. It's surprising how many folks live like that out here, totally different than other parts of the country.

Bestoutwest said:
herofan said:

My neighbor is from Jordan Valley, OR, look it up. It's about an hour from "town." I'm meeting the town through work b/c we are the closest family practice facility and there's about 400 folks living there. I'm pretty sure I've met about half of them. Anyway, when they come here for doctor's appointments they all go shopping b/c it's so far out. It's surprising how many folks live like that out here, totally different than other parts of the country.

Go on past Jordan Valley to Rome, Arock, or Burns Junction. There are ranches down there. In places there will be a two track that turns off the road with a mail box beside it. The two track runs out until it is out of sight but you can't see the ranch house. And you can see a long ways in that country. Jordan Valley is an oasis in the middle of nowhere. Heck they have a gas station with a convenience store, a school, a post office, and a cafe that serves real good Basque food.

I thought I lived in the sticks and a geographical challenge place. 🙇🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

Dave said:
Bestoutwest said:
herofan said:

Go on past Jordan Valley to Rome, Arock, or Burns Junction. There are ranches down there. In places there will be a two track that turns off the road with a mail box beside it. The two track runs out until it is out of sight but you can't see the ranch house. And you can see a long ways in that country. Jordan Valley is an oasis in the middle of nowhere. Heck they have a gas station with a convenience store, a school, a post office, and a cafe that serves real good Basque food.

some people around here are 50 miles from town, and on that road you're lucky to make it in 2 hours

Latest posts