Halloween

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well Halloween came and went and not a single kid showed up at our door to trick or treat. Oh well, more candy for me. I understand this as the nearest kid lives 5 miles away and there is only about 4 or 5 houses between here and there. it would be slim pickings. But both of my sisters who live in the suburbs of Seattle get zero kids and they live in the middle of thousands of kids. What is wrong with kids today. Free candy just go to the door and ask for it. Their parents just aren't training them right. In a few years they will be wanting free phones, free college, and free medical. Start them early with free candy so they will understand the concept of free.

My dad built our house in 1993 and in all those years there has only been kids show up trick or treating once

Dave and ez,
I wanted to come but I didn't exactly know where you lived.
Don't try to tell me I'm not a kid (at heart).
I have a dark cape and a really scary mask.
With this costume on you can't tell how old I am.

Ryder":2p5a4zy1 said:
Dave and ez,
I wanted to come but I didn't exactly know where you lived.
Don't try to tell me I'm not a kid (at heart).
I have a dark cape and a really scary mask.
With this costume on you can't tell how old I am.
We were waiting for you with candy!

Kids still Trick or Treat where I'm from, but it's turned Into a business event. All the businesses, churches, and places in town set up to pass out candy and kids go there. I saw on the news in a nearby town where certain communities were also known for being big Halloween draws. One was called Pumpkin Hollow. I don't think going to individual houses that are off the radar or away from town is done anymore unless it's a relative. Nobody soaps windows or shoots fireworks anymore either. Customs have certainly changed from when I was a kid.

It was Halloween?
Couldn't tell thru the downpour......
I've never had a trick or treater here since 2005 anyway.
I guess if one showed up all I could offer would be a cup of coffee or a shot of Crown...or maybe a pack of cheese crackers..i think there's a year old Slim Jim on the dash of my truck too..

We didn't have any kids show up at our house this year. We only had one last year, but as hard as it was raining, I didn't blame people for not wanting to get out. Tuesday night, I handed out candy at a Trunk or Treat event at our church. We had several hundred kids come through.

Seems like going door to door is becoming less popular, "trunk or treats" are the thing now. Bunch of cars in a parking lot with open trunks full of candy, supposed to be safer that way.

I grew up on a farm, only went trick or treating a few times. Never liked sweets much anyway.

In the past 20 years of me living here we've not had a handful outside of family. Our churches have started their own carnivals/programs to keep the kids entertained and off the streets.

we went to town with our kids. it was pretty busy out. lots of kids. it was nice to actually see kids out for once.

Yesterday about 4:30 I came through Baker City (the closest town, about 30 miles) they were closing off 4 or 5 blocks of Main street. The police, fire dept, businesses, and organizations were setting up tables all up and down the sidewalk. I know that one youngster from here was going in there.

When I was a teen on Halloween night, out town square was filled with people soaping windows, shooting fireworks, and getting into light mischief. The police allowed it as long as
It didn't get out of hand. Store owners stayed in their places to make sure nobody harmed them too badly. There might be an occasional egg here and there.

Now the square is filled with little guys and their parents getting candy from all the stores. Not a prankster in sight. Heck, they don't even leave the lights on at the school and have the custodians stay the night to scare off pranksters anymore. I'm feeling old.

Regardless of what else has changed for the worst in the mischief category, Halloween hasn't. Most people felt it a little dangerous to even be out very late when I was a kid. Now the only danger is possibly running off the road laughing at some 50 year old's costume.

Latest posts