Halloumi Cheese

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Am thrilled, made my first Feta cheese the other day and have now tried my hand at Halloumi. Here are some pics -

Milk heated and rennet added to obtain curd, curd cut up to allow whey to seperate
DSC00005-4.jpg

Cut curd is placed in sieve to drain for 1 hour
DSC00011-2.jpg

DSC00009-3.jpg

Drained curd is placed in my home-made press :p for 2 hours
DSC00014.jpg

Pressed curds are then placed in boiling whey for 1/2 hour
DSC00002-4.jpg

Salt and allow to cool
DSC00022.jpg

Placed in brine
DSC00024.jpg

Fried up till golden brown, allow to cool
DSC00032.jpg

There we go, some nice salty, squeeky cheese snacks :p and a new experience to me.

SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!! Am jealous :mrgreen:

My mouth is watering looking at the pics, wow. Awesome job Alison. :clap:

Thanks all, the next mission will be Mozarella which is a little more difficult to make. I also need to spend more time on the Feta as it was not as hard as it should have been....will let you know how I progress :D

Wish i could make cheese. Don't know much about computers, nice trick with your picture. Not even gonna' give you a smilie. gs

alisonb":235260m2 said:
plumber_greg":235260m2 said:
Don't know much about computers, nice trick with your picture. Not even gonna' give you a smilie. gs
Gotcha! :p
:?

Alison did you have to sterilize everything, I have a friend in California that makes her own cheese and she has to sterilize her whole kitchen so the wrong "bacteria" doesn't grow.

You think being married to a dutchman the cheese making ability would wear off on me .. :lol:

HD - don't be confused, plummer greg is referring to my avatar :D

As for sterilizing, one can't sterilize enough :shock: . I try using as many seamless stainless steel apparatus as possible. Bleach and high temp water is what I use. No dish cloths are used so everything is air dried etc etc......it's really quite a pain which will have to be stuck to religiously as I'm now supplying it to a restaurant, they use about 30lb/week (only Halloumi, they are interested in Feta and Mozarella as well) - that should keep me out of mischief :lol:

alisonb":33rzedgt said:
HD - don't be confused, plummer greg is referring to my avatar :D

As for sterilizing, one can't sterilize enough :shock: . I try using as many seamless stainless steel apparatus as possible. Bleach and high temp water is what I use. No dish cloths are used so everything is air dried etc etc......it's really quite a pain which will have to be stuck to religiously as I'm now supplying it to a restaurant, they use about 30lb/week (only Halloumi, they are interested in Feta and Mozarella as well) - that should keep me out of mischief :lol:

That is awesome Alison ,congrats on the contract. :clap: AND it does sound like it will be keeping you out of trouble for quite a while . :lol:

Thanks HD - you have gotta try it sometime, there is something very satisfying about the whole process... but especially seeing and tasteing your own product. :D

Latest posts