"Philly" Cheese Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin

Reaction score
OK, first things first, I would personally not buy a cheesesteak from any shop that advertised a "Philly" cheesesteak...... :lol2:

The preferred meat to chip is top, bottom, or eye round. The local butcher uses tri-tip, which I dont find to be as good. In Philly, they use ribeyes from bulls. A regular ribeye would be way too fatty. The meat should always be chipped against the grain.

1) Fry onions until brown in a small spray of oil. If you dont actually like onions, fry them anyway and set them aside. The flavor they impart in the pan is critical to a proper cheesesteak.

2) Slice up your chip steak in half inch wide strips and place in a frying pan on 3-4. Stir/flip, (but dont chop the beef) so it cooks evenly. Do not overcook.

3) When portions of the chip steak are just still pink, remove it from the heat and add your cheese. Mozzarella is the best, IMO.Do not overcook.

4) Turn the heat way down, replace on heat and cover until the cheese is just melted. You want the cheese melted, but not such that it becomes one :nod: with meat.Do not overcook. :shock:

5) Drain and place on a toasted Italian roll, french bread or Kaiser roll, krusty bread is the key.

I like to crack some fresh black pepper at each step too ;-)

Wow, that made me hungry! I quite liked the sound of the cracked pepper at each step too, just when is 'enough' pepper? :D

So what do you call this sandwich.

Last time I looked the original was pretty good.

That sounds real good. I know Hooters has a real good Philly Cheese Steak, even thought about asking how they make it, but once I get there it always seems to slip my mind. :shock: