Cheese!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I tried my hand tonight to make mozzarella cheese. Tried the one from Ree Drummond.
it turned out AWESOME!!!!
Saved the whey to make ricotta cheese tomorrow.

Great! Have tried my hand at mozzarella and feta, now just make enough for the house otherwise all the milk(just 3 cows) is used to make halloumi which I sell to a restaurant. Give it a try!
DSC00032.jpg

Well the ricotta flopped. No idea why.
Where's Jo?

alisonb will look up that cheese and see what recipes I can find.

Yep I did. Said to let it cool and strain it through a cheese cloth, which I did. Still flopped.

Looked up that cheese alison and I wouldn't mind trying it even though I would be using cows milk instead of goats milk.

I don't know then. The curds should have formed when it was cooling. I'll ask Mom and see if she knows what may have happened. I've never done it myself.

She didn't know. Said there was too many ways to make it to guess. Said the acidity of the whey was important but also the type milk was most important. Whole raw milk is best.

Very cool! I looked up Ree Drummond's recipe.
I sure wish that I had her money and kitchen.

Are you going to try hard cheese? I have never had good luck with it. I need to get a real cheese press. The last I made smelled like old gym socks. I gave it to the dog and he buried it.

Jo it was whole raw milk. Having a milk cow is great!
Going to try again.

chippie I will need a cheese press before I try the hard ones. Took the mozzarella in and several people loved it, one person didn't like it. I needed to add more salt, but it was good.

Tried a whole milk ricotta today. My friend is going to try it tomorrow and let me know if it turned out ok.
Made more mozzerella. It is already gone!

Daughter wants to do cheese as a demo for 4-H at her next meeting. Going to do the mozzarella cheese.

Latest posts