Hall of Fame females in black angus or other breeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
So what are the "Hall of Fame Females" in the black angus breed? I'd define the HOF females as having perfect fertility (so on an average 370 day calving cycle or so), longevity (so that brings in quality of bone structure, foot structure, udder structure and durability) and the ability to raise a good calf once it is born.

SAV has a handful - 4136, 0075. Others?

What about L5 and 366 at Hoover?

Mohnen has a few i think.

I am unsure what Connealy has on this score.

Sidebar: Personally, we wish seedstock providers wouldn't focus on calves out of their newest, youngest heifers/cows (that probably have the best EPD's) but instead focus on getting bulls out of their most proven cows. Those cows that year in and year out get pregnant at one exposure and have the structure to live a long life.

So on your list I would bet all of those females would fail the fertility part, due to flushing them. Personally I wouldn't want just one calf a year out of those females either. Give 5, 15, or 30 claves please.

I agree 100% on your sidebar, but the association epd scheme is driven towards generation turnover. The best calf raiser on my place isn't 2 or 3 she is 11. Best epds on the place are on a bred heifer. Is she better than 11 yr old?

I think an interesting statistic that Hoover gives and SAV in some cases gives are the amount of females/daughters retained in the herd. That works for the producers that keep females a long time and not to the ranches that cycle through them every 3 or 4 years. I asked a somewhat related question before regarding pathfinder dams and how many each ranch had. I still think this is important but i know many ranches that are turning over the genetics so fast that you their herds aren't well represented in those stats.

I agree on seedstock pushing their heifers calves because of the numbers and we don't buy anything not out of a proven female.

C50 at Hoover is coming 16 with 13 natural calves while giving up 6 flushes. That's fertility and longevity.

Most of the big name cows like 4136 and y69 probably arnt in a production setting every year.

The fertility piece is important if you are buying something out of a production cow an not a donor for sure thou. I have a guy wanting a bull calf for next year, I am trying to steer him towards the one with worse epds, because I know what that cow can do. She is 9 not 2.

Y69
643T

714?

That's only answering your first question. To answer the rest of your questions would take a lot of digging, and the results will be a lot of females we've never heard of, IMHO

Latest posts