Didnt come in??

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I just got done a 7 day protocol( gnrh and cidr 7 day pull cidr and pg) heat detect. out of a 6 cow group only 5 came in. What to do in this situation? I have been checking very frequent and her estrotect patch hasnt been touched. Just wondering theres anything to do to trigger her?

Are you sure she is not pregnant? If not inseminate her just the same as for timed AI. In a small group like that you often get one that is not in the IN group shagging each other but may still be in season. Look out for other signs as well, swollen vulva, mucous etc and blood a day or two later.

Ken

dont beleive she is preg, its probably past time to do timed ai. wondering if I repeated a pg shot. would that work?

dont beleive she is preg, its probably past time to do timed ai. wondering if I repeated a pg shot. would that work?
Maybe, but that would be a blind guess. Your best bet is to restart the protocol and do timed AI if you don't see heat.

Patches and heat detection work better if there are more cows to ride and participate. Sometimes the boss cow won't be ridden by others. Using CIDR's in a small group, I often have a few that only show very subtle heat signs. Peculiar behavior, bull calves following and such. But no rubs on the stickers and no observed riding/standing. I breed based on those subtle signs and often get them settled. You could wait about 11 days for the next CL and give lut and watch again or try the cidr sequence again. A cidr is supposed to give a tighter window on coming into heat allowing timed ai to be used. In the future with cidr's, I would watch for those subtle signs and breed on that basis instead of waiting on a rubbed sticker. If no riding, rubbing or signs, I would still breed on timed basis and watch closely 18 to 24 days later. 5 out of 6 is pretty good in my experience.

when was she due to be in heat. if within the last day or so, I would keep a close eye and see if she has a blood discharge. usually within 2 days of heat. repeat PG in 10 days if you see blood. try the 7 plus 7 Protocall if no blood. like other post, just because patch is not rubbed, doesn't mean she wasn't in heat.

If I choose to give another pg shot, is it from when the last pg shot given or when she was suppose to come into heat?

I just got done a 7 day protocol( gnrh and cidr 7 day pull cidr and pg) heat detect. out of a 6 cow group only 5 came in. What to do in this situation? I have been checking very frequent and her estrotect patch hasnt been touched. Just wondering theres anything to do to trigger her?
Honestly... if an animal doesn't breed without special care I don't care what they cost or what kind of hopes and dreams I've had for them, they take the long walk. There are too many really great, fertile animals out there to be worrying about one that isn't cycling.

And I don't want to perpetuate poor performance by forced breeding.

Honestly... if an animal doesn't breed without special care I don't care what they cost or what kind of hopes and dreams I've had for them, they take the long walk. There are too many really great, fertile animals out there to be worrying about one that isn't cycling.

A bred cow is worth more than an open cow. The second largest cost of a cow calf operation is depreciation. If you can get an extra year out of a cow then your money ahead.

A bred cow is worth more than an open cow. The second largest cost of a cow calf operation is depreciation. If you can get an extra year out of a cow then your money ahead.
That's exactly why I question spending time and money of a cow that fails to breed... Short term it may pencil out, but long term any calves from a cow that has trouble breeding may go into the herd and the factors that led to the problem may spread.
This is also why I'm reluctant to keep replacements from first calf heifers. I want replacements from ten year old plus cows that have been reliable producers.
The results over time speak for themselves. Last I heard the average calf crop was 87%. Using most stringent criteria for replacement can easily get 95%.

You make a good point.

Unfortunately, the cow in question has had 2 calves and I have kept a bull out of her. Maybe a mistake, first bull we have owned, ai'd everything else. I have run across cows not showing signs of heat or maybe i missed them. She has cycled since calving which was in feb. How I know is that she was rode hard to the point of sores and missing hair. So she's cycling, My question is or was if or when to reset the cycle figuring people would no a trick or 2 . As far as it goes I dont count or consider this a " doesnt breed" (yet). First you have to breed them. The bull I kept is out of her so I am not so sure its a good idea to turn the bull in. She 2020 model

I would resynch her for a timed breeding.
Day 0 Insert Cidr, give multimin, and a shot of gnrh
Day 6 Lute
Day 7 Pull Cidr and remove calves if practical.
Most should come in on days 9-10. Time breed on Day 10 with a shot of gnrh.
All injections should be with 18 gauge inch and a half needles.

Latest posts