Hairy Udder ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never heard anyone say anything about hair on the udder. We use to burn all the hair off dairy cattle for the sake of cleanliness. I've heard that an exceptionally hairy "twat" often meant it was a freemartin.

I dislike hairy udders for all the obvious reasons.
When you see a cow with long hair covering the udder - - what does that suggest?
That she's prone to collecting detritus/mud/filth and in a worst case scenario teat strangulation. Bosma considered it a serious fault.

There was a kid in school named Harry Butz. Harry Udder is a new one on me.

A little Galloway or Scotch Highlander in the ancestors?

Indicative of low butterfat content. Essentially a skim milk cow.

You want as little hair as possible on the udder. The balder, the better.

Aaron said:

Could be. She is a fat pig with mediocre calves, but she would look really good in the ring.

Aaron said:

Interesting. I've never heard that before. Has there been studies done to prove that?

Silver said:
Aaron said:

Interesting. I've never heard that before. Has there been studies done to prove that?

Jan Bonsma and Gerald Fry. There might be animal science studies done out there, you are welcome to go look for them.

I know my own experience, it's true. No hairy udders here. I bred them out years ago. Plus they naturally cull themselves with mediocre calves.

Aaron said:
Silver said:
Aaron said:

Jan Bonsma and Gerald Fry. There might be animal science studies done out there, you are welcome to go look for them.

I know my own experience, it's true. No hairy udders here. I bred them out years ago. Plus they naturally cull themselves with mediocre calves.

I've spent some time googling since your post, haven't found anything yet. Now I'll be looking at my cows and try to see if there is a connection here.

Latest posts