Udder edema in 7 month old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Doesn't look to be any mastitis associated with it. Full blown edema. Personally, I have only seen that in long term pregnancies. Heifer is open. Salix and La300? Stumped.

Could be a hematoma, cyst, hernia or edema...one would have to find out before treating though.

The reason I wrote that last post was because I have a cow show up about a month ago with three big open sores on her udder, They were on one side in the back of the cow. They were each about the size of a.50 cent piece in a triangular pattern. I was afraid it was some kind of mastitis or maybe a animal attack. They almost looked like a bite mark.

She is a nice older cow that came from the sale barn and is nursing a big calf. I didn't pay much for her and darn sure didn't want to put more money into her since the quarter where these sores were at has a stubby teat and may not be working at all. That also led me to believe Mastitis was involved. A week or so later they scabbed over and by now you have to look close to even see them. I'm not sure what happened, maybe got into something thorny or backed into something while scratching her butt.
Its always something with them old cows.

Latest posts