Had a question need some input

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
I have a partnership that ends at the end of January 2019. I care for 34 cows and 2 additional bulls on a 50/50 calf share. We are set to wean that group on the 19th. My partner asked if I wanted him to take everything when we wean and 1/4 of my half of the calves vs me keeping his cows on hay and feed thru January. I did some figuring on what the cake cost would be as well as mineral and I came up with roughly $1200. They will be on a pretty heavy hay grazer field once we wean calves off if we keep them. I'm figuring he's asking for 4 additional calves. We will private sell ours along with our other calves and average $800+ on the calves. So what is yall thinking on this offer? Thanks for the help.
Steve

Gotta love partners. I was running after calves this evening in 300% humidity because we have two buyers coming tomorrow, while mine was messing with his nieces show steer. I'll be doing the same in the morning and he's busy again :deadhorse: I won't have partners anymore in a couple months. Rant over

Your agreement is to feed his 34 cows and 2 bulls until Feb 1st.
Sept. 19th he takes his 16 calves to his place and you take your 16 calves and put them with your other calves.

Sept 19 to Feb 1st = 132 days
He's giving you the option of him taking his cows and bulls Sept 19th saving you 132 days of feeding them.
Feed cost at 70 cents per hd per day x 36 hd x 132 days = $3,326
3,326 div by 4 calves = $831 per calf

I don't know where you are or what you think your feed costs are... but I can't feed a cow for less than 85 cents.
85 cents x 365 days = $310 hd per year
85 cents x 36 hd x 132 days = 4039 divided by 4 = $1,009 per calf
Seems like a more than fair offer to me. I'd tell him take them and wean your 12 remaining calves where they are.

IF you can feed 36 hd for 102 days for under $3000 then it should be a no brainer.
1300 lb cow x 2.5% = 32.5 lbs of dry matter or 37 lbs as fed with 7.5% waste = 40 lbs hd

Oct 20-31 = 11 days with 4 tons of pasture foraging = 40 lbs per hd/day
Assuming for some reason 4 tons of pasture grass is of no value to you......

Nov 1 - Jan 31 = 92 days
36 hd x 92 days x 40 lbs hd = 132,480 lbs = 66.24 ton @ $45 ton = $2980
$35 ton = 1,000 lb hay bale delivered to cows for $17.50 bale
$45 ton = 1,000 lb hay bale delivered to cows for $22.50 bale
$60 ton = 1,000 lb bale delivered to cows for $30 bale

$35 ton = $2318 = 580 calf
$45 ton = $2980 = 745 calf
$60 ton = $3,974 = 993 calf

You seem to think you can feed the man's cows for less than $2,000
Makes me wonder if he isn't afraid his cows will be 1/2 starved to death by the end of January by his partner
feeding them on crap hay or wheat straw.

Butch, his cows are all in great shape. I have had them 4 years now and he has never had an issue of how they are fed or cared for. His cattle are on grass like mine are. But, we do start supplementing all cattle Nov 1. His cattle will be on a 220 acre field of hay grazer from early Nov thru end of january. We only got one cut on in August so field will be good and heavy come this winter. We always feed well and do care for his animals just as we do our own. Even if we have a few additional feed days due to weather i can't figure how it's a good deal for me.

In that case I would not take the option and keep the calves. Your resources are much different from mine.
But I would not begrudge the fellow for making the offer, in some cases his offer would be a very good deal.

Butch I agree. No bad blood at all, just making sure my thinking was right as this time of year is our biggest payday with our cattle. I appreciate your input.

Brute his cattle are in an additional partnership with brothers and a son. They come up from Ft Worth to help work all their cattle. I figure they will move this group back down south. It's a convenience thing with them I'm sure.

They are predicting a bad winter. However it is they figure these things out. But it is not the weathermen predicting so I am concerned. Coosh I don't see much of a profit margin for you. You have time in them. But if you are already feeding and checking on cows anyway, its just a few more head. He must trust you, which says a lot.

I would just bow out gracefully , let my cattle have the grass , and what they don't eat, cut for hay in the spring , and not do a partnership again , if I could help it .

Latest posts