Had a nice thing happen the other day...

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
LimiMan":3912k7j7 said:
In Oklahoma, you have to sale by the live wt, not hanging wt. Unless you have a retail license.
So price it back live after you know the hanging weight.

Options so we agree that we are all in this together, and that the packers should not be a conglomerate or be able to own live cattle etc. cows/calves (pairs or individuals meant for breeding), feeders etc.

I agree, but there is a market out there for hormone,antibiotic free cattle. And that small market is willing to pay more for that product. Since there is a market for those type of animals, in my opinion those salers would be doing more damage to the industry selling at $.85

hillsdown":3up1y590 said:
Options so we agree that we are all in this together, and that the packers should not be a conglomerate or be able to own live cattle etc. cows/calves (pairs or individuals meant for breeding), feeders etc.
They will find ways around that. I have been seeing alot of smaller yards getting all their financing thru the packers conditioned on they sell only to that packer. Good interest rates as well. Wondering how long that runs before the market reflects those captive numbers of cattle.

Also the risk factor has to be figured in somewhere, dosent it? I keep my calves 7-8 months longer than normal, what risk is the packer taking? My prices are going up next fall

LimiMan":114g93ut said:
I agree, but there is a market out there for hormone,antibiotic free cattle. And that small market is willing to pay more for that product. Since there is a market for those type of animals, in my opinion those salers would be doing more damage to the industry selling at $.85
They will never bring $85. Example imported beef.

LimiMan":e3njpp1f said:
Also the risk factor has to be figured in somewhere, dosent it? I keep my calves 7-8 months longer than normal, what risk is the packer taking? My prices are going up next fall
Look to the CME to cover risk not the american consumer.

options":tgo8z2nv said:
hillsdown":tgo8z2nv said:
Options, just curious but what was your break even price before BSE when you bought feeder cattle.. Oh wait, it would have been much less than ours then too, as our whole market went in the crapper no matter how well you could manage your herd.. The cow calf produce here has been the bottom of the pyramid for a long time.

I really do not know why you are b@tching at one person probably selling 2-3000 lbs of beef to some friends ..Is he gouging, maybe . But so is the natural source store around us that sell new york steaks for 29.99 a pound and still manage to stay in business.

I still remember a story by a friend of ours who had a very good producing dairy herd. A fellow toured his barn, asked about a cow , he was told she is not for sale, the man said I will pay x amount of dollars for her now. My friend delivered her the next day. I guess everything has a price, it depends on what you want to pay for it.
Honestly it is the gut fill thing that bothers me the most with srbeef. I'm certain the consumer knew nothing of that. But I also get tired of hearing people cry about the packers and their profits and then those same people turn around and charge the same or even more $ with less expenses. The packer is actually more honest.

Well, if this whole thread has pissed you off because of gut fill, I think you can calm down and apologize to SRBeef. You are the only person that I can find who has mentioned gut fill. SRBeef explained that he actually sells his beef by the pound after it is cut, wrapped and deliverd at a price that according to your avg price of $4.33 is $.43 cheaper than the national average. This includes the expenses related to processing and delivery of the beef. The price of $1.30 per pound was arrived at by calculation and is not the way he figures his charges.

So, as I mentioned before, you are selling live cattle and SRBeef is selling packaged beef. I'm sure you realize the difference.

FWIW, I think someone who sells fat cattle based on live weight with gut fill is dishonest and would not do business with them, but SRBeef does not appear to be this type of operator.

I have read about every post in this thread as it has gone on, and I still don't fully comprehend why Options has such indigestion over SRBeef's business. Arms length isn't always a good thing, IMHO. The gap between the producer and the average retail customer is filled with ignorance and mis-information provided by the "anti" activists. There are actually people out there who believe with all their hearts that cattle producers are torturing their cattle for a profit, that eating red meat is extremely bad for human health and now they've starting spewing lies that it harms the environment, too. RELATIONSHIPS between producer and consumer provides invaluable education to the customer.

And SRBeef is providing one thing the customer can never get at their local grocery store - consistency. When you eat meat from one particular animal for weeks or months at a time, you know exactly the flavor and tenderness properties that it has and how to prepare it to its best advantage.

Even if he was charging an exorbitant price, if the customer is happy to pay it, that is free enterprise. There are people out there with lots of disposable income and if their chosen lifestyle includes buying expensive food it's just a opportunity for someone to fill that niche and provide it.

I have a personal request to others on this board.

Please do not reply further on this thread to anyone.

I started it as I was feeling good about a neighbor and customer. It has degenerated from there.

All sides have covered about every aspect of this topic as can be covered. It is unlikely any of the major participants will be convinced by further discussion.

If you feel a need to continue this discussion please do it under another topic, not "Had a nice thing happen..." because this is long-since NOT nice.

Thank you.

Jim

SRBeef":19oevjop said:
Just using that as a "respectable" live weight fat price and working backwards from there. For example, on an 1100 lb steer I want to gross 1100 lb live x $1.30/lb = $1430 on the animal alone. Add in kill and processing and divide the total by the finished pounds of saleable beef (depending on how cut) and I see that as a fair selling price per pound for a split half which includes all cuts of steaks roasts etc and lots of good hamburger. Add a small delivery charge if out of my way. Not sure if this is the best way but seems to work. This system also makes you pay attention to dressing percentage. It is also more work than just loading the trailer.

Jim
gberry He starts with the live animal weight x $1.30/lb on the animal alone, he then adds in kill and processing and then he divides the total by the finished pounds of saleable beefdepending how cut. You really need to read the posts better before trying to comment on them.

Time for this thread to be taken off life support and be allowed to die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts