Guns on Campus.........YES!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Virginia Student Group Seeks to Carry Concealed Guns on Campus
Monday , August 13, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT
RICHMOND, Va. —

Some college students are pushing for their schools to allow them to carry guns on campus.

They say they should have the right to protect themselves in the event of a shooting like the one that left 33 people dead at Virginia Tech.

Andrew Dysart, a George Mason University senior, has organized a chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

The group hopes to convince legislators to overturn a Virginia law that allows universities to prohibit students, faculty and staff members with gun permits from carrying their weapons on campus.

Dysart says that the students at Tech should have had a chance to defend themselves.

Virginia law allows schools to decide whether to allow students with concealed-weapons permits to carry their guns on campus.

One state school, Blue Ridge Community College, does allow it. Schools cannot prohibit non-students or other outsiders from carrying weapons onto campuses if they have legal permits.

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around everyone in school walking around armed. I think it increase school shootings and suicides, certainly not decrease them. Besides, people are always going to be armed anyway, if that's the way they want to be. I don't think some resolution will make unarmed people to go running to get a gun. It will make legal what some were already doing.

School is not the place for guns. I hate that these incidents occur, but I can see a crazy situation made much worse if students had all been armed that day at Virginia Tech.

Who is the gunman if everyone is walking around with a gun drawn?

Very simple. People won't usually walk into a place where guns are known to be and start shooting like they did at Va. Tech, Coumbine, etc.

On the other hand, most schools are known to be gun free and that is the reason fruitcake mass murderers pull their stunts there.

Same deal with Airliners. If guns weren't prohibited, 911 may not have happened.

MikeC":8eceimfa said:
Very simple. People won't usually walk into a place where guns are known to be and start shooting like they did at Va. Tech, Coumbine, etc.

On the other hand, most schools are known to be gun free and that is the reason fruitcake mass murderers pull their stunts there.

Same deal with Airliners. If guns weren't prohibited, 911 may not have happened.

The University of Texas at Dallas doesn't allow students to have guns in their quad apartments, on campus. They advertise it too. Were not talking about hand gun prohibition, we'r talking everything. It makes you wonder why crime is so high there doesn't it? That campus has some of the dumbest rules I have ever heard of. High rape stats too.

In my opinion...

The Virginia Tech shooter was looking for a place to go out in a blaze of demented glory...and take as many as he could with him. It wouldn't have mattered if every student on that campus was armed to the teeth...he was determined to kill as many as he could. Really, it makes him no more different than a suicide bomber...he just chose a different instrument of destruction.

Alice

Somehow I understand how our founding fathers left women out of the voting process. :lol:

Don't be painting with too wide of a brush, MikeC. This grandma carries concealed and is all for her three daughters carrying, too! Two of the three do.

Who decides the criteria for being allowed to carry a weapon in school. I've seen some awful immature, selfish, and impulsive students at colleges.

branDcalf":38efxadf said:
Who decides the criteria for being allowed to carry a weapon in school. I've seen some awful immature, selfish, and impulsive students at colleges.

My point exactly. I would just rather not see that happen.

branDcalf":wqa65274 said:
Don't be painting with too wide of a brush, MikeC. This grandma carries concealed and is all for her three daughters carrying, too! Two of the three do.

Good for you!

It looks like the permits would be issued by the local sheriffs dept? Same as anywhere else.

Don't forget the minimum age requirement, as always....

You are the only one that can protect yourself in most situations. Do not leave that responsibility to anyone.

CSM

I believe we have a right to own guns. But I don't think we should encourage students or teachers to carry guns to school. I belive you are asking for more blood baths than you can imagine. If everyone carried guns we would set this country back 150 years.

Alice":3cm350is said:
In my opinion...

The Virginia Tech shooter was looking for a place to go out in a blaze of demented glory...and take as many as he could with him. It wouldn't have mattered if every student on that campus was armed to the teeth...he was determined to kill as many as he could. Really, it makes him no more different than a suicide bomber...he just chose a different instrument of destruction.

Alice

Alice write this down for once I totally agree with you.
It's today's students I have a problem with. In my day every truck in the high school parking lot had 2 or 3 guns in them cause we were going hunting after school. The thought of shooting someone never crossed our minds. It has to do with doors IMO today's youth are not using the church house doors and have lower morale standards.

PS Alice don't get giddy as I am sure this is some kind of cosmic event that only happens every billion years or so.

I feel the average College kid is way to immature to carry a Firearm. Most have/are being raised by Liberals, who hate Guns to start with.Half of em' cant remember where they left their Ipods. Could not imagine them being responsible with a Gun.

So........ We just let those defenseless kids hide under a desk again when the next gunman enters the room?

It might have taken only ONE gun and ONE student to stop those senseless murders of 33 innocent people.

By giving students the right to carry ALONEcould stop the next notion of a similar incident.

That's right folks. Just give in to these thugs. Everyone just keep wimpering and cowering and they'll stop on their own.

If Va. Tech allows concealed carry, not all students will be packing, but a potential perpertrator won't know which ones are and which ones are not.

I'm ashamed of all of you that will call our youth "immature" in college, but will send them off to war at the very same age. :roll:

MikeC":1rmf6xhj said:
So........ We just let those defenseless kids hide under a desk again when the next gunman enters the room?

It might have taken only ONE gun and ONE student to stop those senseless murders of 33 innocent people.

By giving students the right to carry ALONEcould stop the next notion of a similar incident.

That's right folks. Just give in to these thugs. Everyone just keep wimpering and cowering and they'll stop on their own.

If Va. Tech allows concealed carry, not all students will be packing, but a potential perpertrator won't know which ones are and which ones are not.

I'm ashamed of all of you that will call our youth "immature" in college, but will send them off to war at the very same age. :roll:

I am not opposed to conceal carry anywhere by anyone of legal age. I don't think it would have stopped this nut. I think elemetary teachers should be able to carry just because of nuts. You can't stop someone who is willing to die to accomplish their goal. The issue I have is it takes someone highly trained to get in a gun battle in a classroom enviroment and not have collaterial damage. The student that gets into this that accidently shoots someone in this situation is now up on murder charges. Our kids in the military are highly trained.

Caustic Burno":3qqerko7 said:
Alice":3qqerko7 said:
In my opinion...

Alice

It's today's students I have a problem with. In my day every truck in the high school parking lot had 2 or 3 guns in them cause we were going hunting after school. The thought of shooting someone never crossed our minds. It has to do with doors IMO today's youth are not using the church house doors and have lower morale standards.

PS Alice don't get giddy as I am sure this is some kind of cosmic event that only happens every billion years or so.

Well, thank you, CB.

Not to worry...

Alice

I guess I will never understand the passive approach to terrorism.... Nor the folks that believe that there could be a passive approach to solving the problem by throwing your arms in the air and giving up...
Like Alice said... It's terrorism... same concept, different medium... And people are just as dead...
Having been a teacher for 18 years... and with my former background, I am sure that if I had been there and could have saved only one life... That would have still been one life...
Never go into a battle believing that you could die for what you believe... Go into it believing that the other bonehead is going to die for what the error in what they believe...
(A General Patton paraphrase....)
And "Yes" I did fail sensitivity training....

Latest posts