Guns on Campus.........YES!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

From this thread it seems that some folks harbor an irrational fear of inanimate objects while some have subverted their liberty for the illusion of security. Neither is a good recipe for a free society.

The point of concealed carry is no one knows you have it... ;-) As some one has said before... most people have been around some one carrying and didn't even know it

As for who ever was talking about their grand children packing to school. You would still have to be 21 and have the CHL. SO..... where is your point.

The world would be alot better place if more people carried... ;-)

AngusLimoX":3fu6zpi8 said:
Conagher":3fu6zpi8 said:
It was January 16, 2002 when Peter Odighizuwa came to campus.

Danged Irish immigrants!

Now just how much media attention did this story get or is still getting? To me it is a success story for being able to defend oneself and I'll also wager it doesn't/didn't get much press from the anti gun media.

ALX

Never heard of it.

"2nd Amendment. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Its seems to me that we have been infringed already.

Walt

HOSS":16nbty03 said:
rkm":16nbty03 said:
Am I naive? Am I the only [male] that thinks if you encourage students to carry guns, you are asking for trouble? I don't think my grandchildren would be any more safe, if they packed a gun to school and half the other nuts were armed. I just feel if students have carry a gun to school we are doomed as a country. :(

I grew up in a rural area. Most ALL of us boys in my high school hunted. Come fall of the year every truck in the school parking lot had a shotgun or rifle in it. Guess what???? No shootings happened either purposely or accidently! There was one thing in common amongst all of us......we were raised around guns. They were not a novelty item. They were tools. It didn't cross our minds to use them on each other. Even when there were the usual high school fights in the school parking lot nobody went to their truck and got a gun. This was in the mid 1980's. It seems to me that this country needs to do a little "regressing" back to a time when there was personal responsibility. Bringing guns back will not "doom" us but only save us. Statistics prove this.

Good post. Seen some of that myself but times were a changing when I went through.

HOSS":2l5x15oz said:
Lammie":2l5x15oz said:
HOSS":2l5x15oz said:
rkm":2l5x15oz said:
I believe we have a right to own guns. But I don't think we should encourage students or teachers to carry guns to school. I belive you are asking for more blood baths than you can imagine. If everyone carried guns we would set this country back 150 years.

That might be a good thing since the murder and crime rate was much lower 150 years ago. Come to think of it....suicides, drugs, gangs, assaults, robberies and rapes were lower then to......maybe it was because people carried guns then.

This really is my last word on this, because no one really cares anyway, ;-) , but does anyone remember that episode of All In The Family when Archie made that speech about giving everyone guns and it got such a laugh? I think it struck the audience as absurd then and it got a good laugh. I wonder what would happen now if some television character suggested that? Just think about it...

We will keep everyone safe from gun toting law breakers by giving everyone guns. So I am on the freeway and I accidently cut someone off and they have had a really bad day. Like, their wife left them or they just got fired. He's got a gun.

A punk kid steals the parking spot I wanted at Wal Mart, I need to get my dad's medicine, it's 112 degrees and I have a gun.

Some kids get into a fight and a football game, and someone has a gun...

I'm out. I think this is a area where we must agree to disagree.

I don't have issues with rural folks having guns. We need them. And I don't think that it is a bad thing to have a permit and carry. But I don't think that everyone has the common sense or the ability to have a gun and choose not to use it when they lose their heads.

There are just too many people out there who are crazy idiots and if I can carry, so can they. I have never been shot at, and I really want to avoid that.

Lammie, I respect your viewpoint and I like the way you argue your point without digressing to name calling and personal attacks the way some other threads have gone. If thought about logically however your fears will never be a reality. In Tennessee we have about 300,000 concealed carry permit holders. Tennessee started issuing permits in 1994. After 13 years of a 300,000 people running around with guns in their cars, under their coats and in their purses we have had 0 murders commited by a CHP holder. Find me a city of 300,000 people anywhere in the US where there are 0 murders in 13 years and I am moving there! According to the Tennessee Department Of Safety, the agency that issues the permits and keeps the data records, less than 1/2 of 1% of permits issued are rescended due to those individuals becoming approved and then finding out that they do not qualify.

On the other hand there have been thousands of instances where a Tennessee CHP holder has used their handgun to protect themselves, their property, and the lives of others including police officers.

The bottom line is that permit holders are the safest group of gun toting people anywhere in the world. I feel MORE comfortable in a room full of legal gun toters than anywhere else. The record speaks for itself. We will never be able to stop the criminals and fruitcakes from commiting violent acts. We can put ourselves in the position to be able to stop them in the act. It should be our DUTY to stop them.

Hoss, I worried when Texas passed the concealed weapons law. I was afraid that every fight over a parking place would lead to bloodshed. I have not seen that yet, and I am impressed. You make a valid point, and I thank you for not using the "L" word to describe me. I am actually pretty "M".

I just want to feel safe, like everyone else.

Conagher":1d9m04eb said:
I remember a shooting at a university in Virginia. See cut from an article below.

" It took place at a university in Virginia. A student with a grudge, an immigrant, pulled a gun and went on a shooting spree. It wasn't Virginia Tech at all. It was the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, not far away. You can easily drive from the one school to the other, just take a trip down Route 460 through Tazewell.

It was January 16, 2002 when Peter Odighizuwa came to campus. He had been suspended due to failing grades. Odighizuwa was angry and waving a gun calling on students to "come get me". The students, seeing the gun, ran. A shooting spree started almost immediately. In seconds Odighizuwa had killed the school dean, a professor and one student. Three other students were shot as well, one in the chest, one in the stomach and one in the throat.

Many students heard the shots. Two who did were Mikael Gross and Tracy Bridges. Mikael was outside the school having just returned to campus from lunch when he heard the shots. Tracy was inside attending class. Both immediately ran to their cars. Each had a handgun locked in the vehicle.

Bridges pulled a .357 Magnum pistol and he later said he was prepared to shoot to kill if necessary. He and Gross both approached Odighizuwa at the same time from different directions. Both were pointing their weapons at him. Bridges yelled for Odighizuwa to drop his weapon. When the shooter realized they had the drop on him he threw his weapon down. A third student, unarmed, Ted Besen, approached the killer and was physically attacked.

But Odighizuwa was now disarmed. The three students were able to restrain him and held him for the police. Odighizuwa is now in prison for the murders he committed. His killing spree ended when he faced two students with weapons. There would be no further victims that day, thanks to armed resistance."

I remember reading about this, but the article didn't mention anything about the attacker being stopped by armed citizens. I read later that of the newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations that reported this incident, only about 5% reported the whole story. They played up the fact that some nut with a gun started shooting, but didn't even mention that guns were involved in stopping him. Wouldn't want to say something that might make guns look good, would we? Unfortunately, this kind of deceit sounds all too familiar.

Lammie":13s7wsuw said:
HOSS":13s7wsuw said:
Lammie":13s7wsuw said:
HOSS":13s7wsuw said:
rkm":13s7wsuw said:
I believe we have a right to own guns. But I don't think we should encourage students or teachers to carry guns to school. I belive you are asking for more blood baths than you can imagine. If everyone carried guns we would set this country back 150 years.

That might be a good thing since the murder and crime rate was much lower 150 years ago. Come to think of it....suicides, drugs, gangs, assaults, robberies and rapes were lower then to......maybe it was because people carried guns then.

This really is my last word on this, because no one really cares anyway, ;-) , but does anyone remember that episode of All In The Family when Archie made that speech about giving everyone guns and it got such a laugh? I think it struck the audience as absurd then and it got a good laugh. I wonder what would happen now if some television character suggested that? Just think about it...

We will keep everyone safe from gun toting law breakers by giving everyone guns. So I am on the freeway and I accidently cut someone off and they have had a really bad day. Like, their wife left them or they just got fired. He's got a gun.

A punk kid steals the parking spot I wanted at Wal Mart, I need to get my dad's medicine, it's 112 degrees and I have a gun.

Some kids get into a fight and a football game, and someone has a gun...

I'm out. I think this is a area where we must agree to disagree.

I don't have issues with rural folks having guns. We need them. And I don't think that it is a bad thing to have a permit and carry. But I don't think that everyone has the common sense or the ability to have a gun and choose not to use it when they lose their heads.

There are just too many people out there who are crazy idiots and if I can carry, so can they. I have never been shot at, and I really want to avoid that.

Lammie, I respect your viewpoint and I like the way you argue your point without digressing to name calling and personal attacks the way some other threads have gone. If thought about logically however your fears will never be a reality. In Tennessee we have about 300,000 concealed carry permit holders. Tennessee started issuing permits in 1994. After 13 years of a 300,000 people running around with guns in their cars, under their coats and in their purses we have had 0 murders commited by a CHP holder. Find me a city of 300,000 people anywhere in the US where there are 0 murders in 13 years and I am moving there! According to the Tennessee Department Of Safety, the agency that issues the permits and keeps the data records, less than 1/2 of 1% of permits issued are rescended due to those individuals becoming approved and then finding out that they do not qualify.

On the other hand there have been thousands of instances where a Tennessee CHP holder has used their handgun to protect themselves, their property, and the lives of others including police officers.

The bottom line is that permit holders are the safest group of gun toting people anywhere in the world. I feel MORE comfortable in a room full of legal gun toters than anywhere else. The record speaks for itself. We will never be able to stop the criminals and fruitcakes from commiting violent acts. We can put ourselves in the position to be able to stop them in the act. It should be our DUTY to stop them.

Hoss, I worried when Texas passed the concealed weapons law. I was afraid that every fight over a parking place would lead to bloodshed. I have not seen that yet, and I am impressed. You make a valid point, and I thank you for not using the "L" word to describe me. I am actually pretty "M".

I just want to feel safe, like everyone else.

I will not judge you as an "L" but I think the "M" stands for misguided ;-)

Ever notice when some problem with someone using a gun is solved by someone else using a gun. If we have areas where no guns are allowed and someone takes one in anyway, they are free to do as they please until someone else comes in with a gun. I have carried a gun for most of my life. Never once did I even think of using it over a parking incident, road incident, or some other silly excuse for folks that want to ban guns. I was up in a rural Canada and saw some police officers wearing bullet proff vest. I ask them if guns are outlawed up there why do the need to wear a vest. They said the crooks still have guns. Most of the police in rural America don't wear vest.

Bama":6vl5esdo said:
Ever notice when some problem with someone using a gun is solved by someone else using a gun. If we have areas where no guns are allowed and someone takes one in anyway, they are free to do as they please until someone else comes in with a gun. I have carried a gun for most of my life. Never once did I even think of using it over a parking incident, road incident, or some other silly excuse for folks that want to ban guns. I was up in a rural Canada and saw some police officers wearing bullet proff vest. I ask them if guns are outlawed up there why do the need to wear a vest. They said the crooks still have guns. Most of the police in rural America don't wear vest.
Police safety is a big issue here in canada --their issued with a vest and made to wear it--But I still don't like the idea of everybody packin iron around me---we've never had people carry hand guns here ---guess what you've never had you never miss

carl

one more thought ---My nieghbour just came back from chigago--she tells me if the police stop you on the inter state--there is 2 police cars and two cops per car --must be a reason that they work in that many numbers --Up here mounties always work alone.

carl

Carlos D.":1ru1w6r3 said:
one more thought ---My nieghbour just came back from chigago--she tells me if the police stop you on the inter state--there is 2 police cars and two cops per car --must be a reason that they work in that many numbers --Up here mounties always work alone.

carl

Chicago is a very poor example for your argument, Carlos. Chicago and Illinois have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the USA. The crime rate in Chicago makes their use of gun laws a prime example for the argument of owning firearms.

Kennesaw, GA requires all heads of households to own at least one firearm. In a few years they went from a high per capia crime rate to the lowest in the country.

Dusty Britches":1m4gvqfu said:
Carlos D.":1m4gvqfu said:

carl

Chicago is a very poor example for your argument, Carlos. Chicago and Illinois have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the USA. The crime rate in Chicago makes their use of gun laws a prime example for the argument of owning firearms.

Kennesaw, GA requires all heads of households to own at least one firearm. In a few years they went from a high per capia crime rate to the lowest in the country.
Oh! poop :D :D :D---O.K.I will talk about something I know something about ---which doesn't seem to be much :D :D

carl

I just heard on CNN that they are making backpacks that are bullet proof and teaching the kids to hold them in front of their vitals during an incident. $175

What is this world coming to? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Kevlar for kids :help: :help: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dusty Britches":1ekumax4 said:
Chicago and Illinois have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the USA. The crime rate in Chicago makes their use of gun laws a prime example for the argument of owning firearms.

No truer words were ever spoken.

certherfbeef":g6h3cgsj said:
I just heard on CNN that they are making backpacks that are bullet proof and teaching the kids to hold them in front of their vitals during an incident. $175

What is this world coming to? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Kevlar for kids :help: :help: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I saw that Cert. Sickening.

And of course, they don't allow guns at or around the school. :roll:

I think some College kids are to inmature to carry guns, and some are not. The inmature ones probably would not take the time to take the carry courses or give enough thought to the personal responsibility of doing so.

But needless to say, rather they are immature or not. Rather there would at times be mishaps or collateral damage from this select group.

To me it comes down to the Freedom of those that are not immature. The stupidity of a few should not restrict the masses from their personal constitutional rights and from the ability to be responsible for their own safety.

Everyone should have the right to carry a gun as well as everyone should have the right to be punished if they use it wrongly. But the competent and innocent should never be punished because someone else does wrong.

But the competent and innocent should never be punished because someone else does wrong.[/quote]

well unfortunatly that is exactly what happens.

I think this has been a very realistic and appropos thread!

As any USA national statistics report (DPS, FBI, NRA, etc.), those countries, states, etc., that allow a honest citizen to bear arms (and/or carry concealed) have PROVEN that when people are ARMED there is less CRIME!

The outlaws will always have weapons: black market, theft, break and enters, etc.

An unarmed citizen is a target.

I've had a CHL for several years and practice regularly to improve my skills. I hope I NEVER have to defend myself! But...I want to be prepared.

The State of Texas passed the "Castle Doctrine" which expanded its citizens right to defend their person, family, and property, to reduce or eliminate recourse from the attacker in Courts of Law.

If I'm not mistaken, Arizona "requires" carriers to "Carry Open" in a holster. I wish Texas would do the same. IMO only a fool would think of trying to hold up someone if it was OBVIOUS they were packing! Of course, the fools never learn, do they?

Those cities, states, districts that prohibit law-abiding citizens from owning, carrying, and/or defending themselves just don't get it! I would NOT live in those areas...regardless of the job, etc., opportunities.

JMO