Guns on Campus.........YES!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.":3t1hhpr3 said:
I just couldn't imagine --have this conversation in canada

carl

the same here......if anyone should have a gun in school/coll/uni....surely it should be a Security Guard, who has been vetted by the police to be of sound character.

If students are armed and one gets into a fight with another about something it is very tempting to just pull his/her gun, and shoot without thinking of the outcome in a fit of rage.

chrisy":233vklpc said:
Carlos D.":233vklpc said:

carl

the same here......if anyone should have a gun in school/coll/uni....surely it should be a Security Guard, who has been vetted by the police to be of sound character.

If students are armed and one gets into a fight with another about something it is very tempting to just pull his/her gun, and shoot without thinking of the outcome in a fit of rage.

That must be the reason that states with liberel carry laws have such a blood bath on their streets and places like Wash DC are so safe!

dun":1ov1qozi said:
chrisy":1ov1qozi said:
Carlos D.":1ov1qozi said:

carl

That must be the reason that states with liberel carry laws have such a blood bath on their streets and places like Wash DC are so safe!
Bingo :!:
A facetious comment used to make a little common sense. :clap:

MikeC":29k0zs2q said:
So........

I'm ashamed of all of you that will call our youth "immature" in college, but will send them off to war at the very same age. :roll:

Depends on the student. Like I have said many times before, there are 18 year olds who are mature enough to go to war, start families, work "real" job, and be a fully functional member of society.

Then there are kids like my son, step-kids and most of their friends. Not mature enough to do flip. They are smart, don't get me wrong, but I think we have allowed our kids to be "kids" until they are at least 21 these days.

My step-daughter is still going to school and she's 27! That's excessive, if you ask me, for what she's done with her life, but we have allowed her to continue to seek the shelter of being a "student" and that label prevents her from taking her full place in society. I don't see that changing.

I was married, had a son, a house, a job, a mortgage by the time I was her age. I had those things when I was 23. Kids today are too sheltered, and I am no better than anyone else. Guilty as charged.

Carlos D.":dnds7aq7 said:

carl

The University of Toronto is closing their range and shutting down the gun clubs.

Meantime our faggot Health Minister got married to his queer partner. ( Goes to what CB said, we are going to Hades in a handbasket morally ).

Read all about it here Carlos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourview/toronto ... nge_1.html

Bloods and Crips are killing in the streets a couple times a week and govt whores want to confiscate honest folks handguns. Lots of us have had enough. It ain't gonna happen.

ALX

I appreciate the input on this post.

The responses are generally what I expected, which are;

Females tend to want to depend on someone else to protect them from harm, and males tend to want to protect themselves and theirs.

Seems as though every night here in Montgomery there is shooting. Lately, the big thing is these little thugs are going into occupied houses and robbing them.

The mayor here has admitted that there are not enough police to protect everyone and has issued the statement that each person needs to get themselves a gun and protect themselves.

In short.........If these little thugs have ANY idea that there is a gun in the house, they will not enter it and rob the occupants.

Lammie said:
My step-daughter is still going to school and she's 27! That's excessive, if you ask me, for what she's done with her life, but we have allowed her to continue to seek the shelter of being a "student" and that label prevents her from taking her full place in society. I don't see that changing.
quote]

Don't feel bad Lammie. My son is the same age as your daughter and he is still trying to find his place in the music business and he can't play an instrument or sing :shock: He just don't want a job where he actually might have to do something.

To think of all the money I sank into his college education too.

I remember a shooting at a university in Virginia. See cut from an article below.

" It took place at a university in Virginia. A student with a grudge, an immigrant, pulled a gun and went on a shooting spree. It wasn't Virginia Tech at all. It was the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, not far away. You can easily drive from the one school to the other, just take a trip down Route 460 through Tazewell.

It was January 16, 2002 when Peter Odighizuwa came to campus. He had been suspended due to failing grades. Odighizuwa was angry and waving a gun calling on students to "come get me". The students, seeing the gun, ran. A shooting spree started almost immediately. In seconds Odighizuwa had killed the school dean, a professor and one student. Three other students were shot as well, one in the chest, one in the stomach and one in the throat.

Many students heard the shots. Two who did were Mikael Gross and Tracy Bridges. Mikael was outside the school having just returned to campus from lunch when he heard the shots. Tracy was inside attending class. Both immediately ran to their cars. Each had a handgun locked in the vehicle.

Bridges pulled a .357 Magnum pistol and he later said he was prepared to shoot to kill if necessary. He and Gross both approached Odighizuwa at the same time from different directions. Both were pointing their weapons at him. Bridges yelled for Odighizuwa to drop his weapon. When the shooter realized they had the drop on him he threw his weapon down. A third student, unarmed, Ted Besen, approached the killer and was physically attacked.

But Odighizuwa was now disarmed. The three students were able to restrain him and held him for the police. Odighizuwa is now in prison for the murders he committed. His killing spree ended when he faced two students with weapons. There would be no further victims that day, thanks to armed resistance."

Brute 23":2mvasb5q said:
That would be the best things that any college campus could do.

IF you are 21... had the CC permit issied by your state... I think you should be able to carry in campus.

MikeC is dead on about this.....

I agree with Mike as well.

Brute23, I was done with college and had a husband by the time I was 21. Couldn't have carried on campus if I wanted to.

I agree with you Mike. The statistics are against those who disagree with us.

Could the VA Tech shooter have killed people if CHL holders were on campus with firearms? Sure. But he would not have killed nearly as many.

CHL holders have to pass a written test and a shooting test and have to be legal to carry a handgun - which is at least 21 years of age. They must pass an ATF background check, too.

So, most students on campus are not eligible to carry a handgun by the age rule, but most staff and faculty are. I work with a university system and their are plenty of "random actors" I worry about that I cannot defend myself against b/c the law says I can't carry my handgun into this building. It simply does not make sense.

Am I naive? Am I the only [male] that thinks if you encourage students to carry guns, you are asking for trouble? I don't think my grandchildren would be any more safe, if they packed a gun to school and half the other nuts were armed. I just feel if students have carry a gun to school we are doomed as a country. :(

Conagher":2u6g59gq said:
It was January 16, 2002 when Peter Odighizuwa came to campus.

Danged Irish immigrants!

Now just how much media attention did this story get or is still getting? To me it is a success story for being able to defend oneself and I'll also wager it doesn't/didn't get much press from the anti gun media.

ALX

rkm":ai1h96ft said:
I believe we have a right to own guns. But I don't think we should encourage students or teachers to carry guns to school. I belive you are asking for more blood baths than you can imagine. If everyone carried guns we would set this country back 150 years.

That might be a good thing since the murder and crime rate was much lower 150 years ago. Come to think of it....suicides, drugs, gangs, assaults, robberies and rapes were lower then to......maybe it was because people carried guns then.

rkm":j3834s9b said:
Am I naive? Am I the only [male] that thinks if you encourage students to carry guns, you are asking for trouble? I don't think my grandchildren would be any more safe, if they packed a gun to school and half the other nuts were armed. I just feel if students have carry a gun to school we are doomed as a country. :(

I grew up in a rural area. Most ALL of us boys in my high school hunted. Come fall of the year every truck in the school parking lot had a shotgun or rifle in it. Guess what???? No shootings happened either purposely or accidently! There was one thing in common amongst all of us......we were raised around guns. They were not a novelty item. They were tools. It didn't cross our minds to use them on each other. Even when there were the usual high school fights in the school parking lot nobody went to their truck and got a gun. This was in the mid 1980's. It seems to me that this country needs to do a little "regressing" back to a time when there was personal responsibility. Bringing guns back will not "doom" us but only save us. Statistics prove this.

HOSS":1hj2ezuc said:
rkm":1hj2ezuc said:
I believe we have a right to own guns. But I don't think we should encourage students or teachers to carry guns to school. I belive you are asking for more blood baths than you can imagine. If everyone carried guns we would set this country back 150 years.

That might be a good thing since the murder and crime rate was much lower 150 years ago. Come to think of it....suicides, drugs, gangs, assaults, robberies and rapes were lower then to......maybe it was because people carried guns then.

This really is my last word on this, because no one really cares anyway, ;-) , but does anyone remember that episode of All In The Family when Archie made that speech about giving everyone guns and it got such a laugh? I think it struck the audience as absurd then and it got a good laugh. I wonder what would happen now if some television character suggested that? Just think about it...

We will keep everyone safe from gun toting law breakers by giving everyone guns. So I am on the freeway and I accidently cut someone off and they have had a really bad day. Like, their wife left them or they just got fired. He's got a gun.

A punk kid steals the parking spot I wanted at Wal Mart, I need to get my dad's medicine, it's 112 degrees and I have a gun.

Some kids get into a fight and a football game, and someone has a gun...

I'm out. I think this is a area where we must agree to disagree.

I don't have issues with rural folks having guns. We need them. And I don't think that it is a bad thing to have a permit and carry. But I don't think that everyone has the common sense or the ability to have a gun and choose not to use it when they lose their heads.

There are just too many people out there who are crazy idiots and if I can carry, so can they. I have never been shot at, and I really want to avoid that.

Lammie":qw9mk41s said:
We will keep everyone safe from gun toting law breakers by giving everyone guns. So I am on the freeway and I accidently cut someone off and they have had a really bad day. Like, their wife left them or they just got fired. He's got a gun.

A punk kid steals the parking spot I wanted at Wal Mart, I need to get my dad's medicine, it's 112 degrees and I have a gun.

There are just too many people out there who are crazy idiots and if I can carry, so can they. I have never been shot at, and I really want to avoid that.

As of 12/31/2006 there were 258,162 CHL individuals in the state of Texas. You have most likely been in the vicinity of one of these folks on the freeway, at Wal Mart, etc. The hysteria of mass slayings by crazy idiots, uncontrollable freeway rage shootings, high noon shootouts, more dead police officers, or any of the other false predictions of horrible consequences has not occurred in Texas, nor any of the other 39 states with right to carry laws. Florida has issued over 1.2 million CHL permits; and despite the delusional hysterics, even those "crazy idiots" haven't killed off each other yet.

Lammie":2oavcy10 said:
HOSS":2oavcy10 said:
rkm":2oavcy10 said:

This really is my last word on this, because no one really cares anyway, ;-) , but does anyone remember that episode of All In The Family when Archie made that speech about giving everyone guns and it got such a laugh? I think it struck the audience as absurd then and it got a good laugh. I wonder what would happen now if some television character suggested that? Just think about it...

I'm out. I think this is a area where we must agree to disagree.

I don't have issues with rural folks having guns. We need them. And I don't think that it is a bad thing to have a permit and carry. But I don't think that everyone has the common sense or the ability to have a gun and choose not to use it when they lose their heads.

Lammie, I respect your viewpoint and I like the way you argue your point without digressing to name calling and personal attacks the way some other threads have gone. If thought about logically however your fears will never be a reality. In Tennessee we have about 300,000 concealed carry permit holders. Tennessee started issuing permits in 1994. After 13 years of a 300,000 people running around with guns in their cars, under their coats and in their purses we have had 0 murders commited by a CHP holder. Find me a city of 300,000 people anywhere in the US where there are 0 murders in 13 years and I am moving there! According to the Tennessee Department Of Safety, the agency that issues the permits and keeps the data records, less than 1/2 of 1% of permits issued are rescended due to those individuals becoming approved and then finding out that they do not qualify.

On the other hand there have been thousands of instances where a Tennessee CHP holder has used their handgun to protect themselves, their property, and the lives of others including police officers.

The bottom line is that permit holders are the safest group of gun toting people anywhere in the world. I feel MORE comfortable in a room full of legal gun toters than anywhere else. The record speaks for itself. We will never be able to stop the criminals and fruitcakes from commiting violent acts. We can put ourselves in the position to be able to stop them in the act. It should be our DUTY to stop them.

Latest posts