Guns Locked up? How do you store them?

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
We been talking a lot about guns lately. Curious how everyone stores their guns? Loaded? Unloaded? Locked up? Hidden?

How do kids or no kids affect your choices?

I keep my long guns in a safe. And have Pistols in a small gun box with 4 digit code to get to it.

Been looking at some way to store a couple guns for home protection that would be faster to get at.

Looked at one of those picture frames that have one hidden. Wondered If I could pull of never letting my kids know it was there, how dangerous this would be?

My kids respect guns very well, but kids will be kids. And I also have some nephews and nieces that come around often that are not raised around any guns.

Unloaded gun is a stick or a rock.
There is a 45 long colt on the night stand. a 16 ga by the front door and 45-70 by the back they are not sticks or rocks.
Guns become a problem when they are a novelity to kids.
All mine had to do was ask and we went shooting. Touch a gun without permission I would stomp a mud hole in their ass you could loose a chevy in. Of course the pistols where kept out of reach when they were babies. Never had a problem with guns you get what you tolerate and expect out kids.

If it is unloaded, it is still treated with the respect of a loaded gun. You should never ask, "Is it loaded?" A gun should always be handled with the same care either way.

As far as it being loaded or unloaded, do you drain your fuel tank each night when you get your truck to the house? If it is going into storage, it is unloaded.

We have guns in the house. There is a loaded shotgun next to our bedroom back door for varmits. The rest are in a cabinet in the living room and under the bed. No hand guns, I don't think. Kids just know that every gun should be treated like it is loaded. When my younger son has company, I like to be around, because not everyone teaches that lesson and I would hate to be sorry.

Ours are in a safe in our bedroom. The safe used to be in the living room, but I don't want people looking in seeing it there, so I moved it. They are always unloaded, but I know how to load em in a hurry... :cboy:

In canada we have to have them in a locked cabinet unloaded or trigger locks on them the amo cant be stored in the same place as the guns; hand guns have to be double locked.Kind of makes sense ---So if some nut goes into a rage he has to unlock gun and unlock amo to should be enough time to cool down a little

carl

I have a gun cabinet, but it's never locked. The .243 which I use for most everything is always loaded. the pistol is loaded with 4 bullets with the open chamber up. If I need it I don't want to fool with loading it.

Caustic Burno":949wajds said:
There is a 45 long colt on the night stand. a 16 ga by the front door and 45-70 by the back they are not sticks or rocks.
All mine had to do was ask and we went shooting. Touch a gun without permission I would stomp a mud hole in their ass you could loose a chevy in. Of course the pistols where kept out of reach when they were babies. Never had a problem with guns you get what you tolerate and expect out kids.

Caustic, this is exacty....to the tee....how I was raised and how I raised my own kids. I have guns all over the house. Most are unloaded but the one near my bed is loaded (Glock .40). My kids never even glance at the guns as they go through the house. To them it is like a broom or mop sitting there. No mystery.......no need to sneak them out. They learned the rules the hard way and when their friends come over and start to touch the guns the kids immediatley tell them what I will do to them :D

Two pump shotguns under the bed (12 ga' on my side, 20 ga. on hers) in custom built racks to keep them out of sight and off the floor. (A friend of mine and I got into his shop and bent some 2" barstock to fit over the bed rails wrapped them in duct tape and walaa).

Venerable old Model 94 behind the front door. Couple of pistols stashed around. No rocks or sticks. Also have a multi functional alarm system. (eight dogs)Z

All My guns are loaded in the safe. I am afraid if the time arises I would not remember which were loaded and which were not so I keep all of them loaded and ready to grab.

I am too paranoid to keep one out in the open, if it was just my kids I would keep one in nightstand drawer. But I am just to paranoid with my nieces and nephews being around and kids friends. One particular nephew is not to bright or well behaved. I am not even that glad he comes over so much, but we get caught trying to help out a single mom and let him ride the bus home all the time.

That is one reason I been thinking about one of those picture frames that hide a gun. It is not locked up but well hidden.

Wish I felt 100% sure no kid would get my gun but at this time I do not. I need to feel 100% before I will take the chance with someones life or even the fact they might be able to sue me and take my Home if something did happen.

Loaded. People get killed messing around with what they think are unloaded guns. I know they are loaded. Besides, I could never figure out how to shoot one if it wasn't loaded. If I have to stop to load it, why not keep it loaded.

With kids around it is a different situation. I have known kids I would have as much trust in as any adult with a gun. But if they have friends visitiing, that is a whole 'nother ballgame. Any strange kid for that matter.

When I was a kid, another kid came in, got my BB gun from under my bed and shot me in the mouth breaking three teeth.
It just happened. I did nothing wrong. This kid came with his mother. He was not a friend of mine. His parents allowed him to be a hoodlum and that was their fault. Not me or the gun.

Years later it came back on him. His wife got irritated about something and took a .357 and shot him dead.

Caustic Burno":306ftk9k said:

I agree Caustic...

I have a 12 gauge Winchester pump sawed off on a rack over the bed ( eyes don't focus as fast as they used to in the dark- might need a scatter pattern to clear the hallway ;-) :lol: ), 357 rifle on rack in the room I use as an office, 22-250 under the seat of the truck- 38 bulldog in the door carrier, 45 or 357 on the hip- unless I'm in town when I'll switch to a 38 snubby (more concealable)....

All the others are locked up in my gun closet- but are ready to go at a keyturn....

Kids were/ and now the grandkids are being taught to respect all guns- and how to handle them and were allowed to use them/shoot when I was with them and they never became, like you say, a novelty...

All are loaded. None are "locked up".
I was raised this way and have passed it on to my son.
Any child that comes into the house is talked with about this.
All of the neices (even the city girls) are familiar with shooting activities even if they don't participate.

My oldest when she was 6 put a rifle to my wifes head without my wife knowing and pulled the trigger.

Wewild":1ji59y43 said:
My oldest when she was 6 put a rifle to my wifes head without my wife knowing and pulled the trigger.

And what did you do?

Well Ive read all the posts on this subject And I have come to the conclusion that I live in a totally different world I couldnt imagine sleeping with a loaded hand gun beside my bed ( my wife carries one for work but she always takes it off after shift and locks it up--unloaded) I never take the keys out of my vehicals I don't know where my house keys are; I know 95 % of the people that drive by my place Im pretty contented the way I live

carl

Muratic":2ob0zqpy said:
Wewild":2ob0zqpy said:

And what did you do?

We had a long talk.

Just glad it was empty. It was a mistake that I was taught better of but probably not at that age.

I keep a SW 4516-1 in a place that is easily accessiable but never with the clip in. I keep the others in a safe.

First of all, I don't have any problems with law abiding citizens owning guns. I don't care if they own bazookas. I trust 99% of gun owners and laws won't change the 1%.
I defend my domain with a fireplace poker. In close quarters, I'm a lot more dangerous with that poker than a gun. If I run into someone who really wants to kill me, and has training or experience, I'm in trouble. If an intruder runs into me, he's in trouble. The odds are in my favor, cause I'm defending the home and most thieves are bad shots under pressure.
I have some kind of powerful rifle for "putting down" stock when that is the best course. Not sure what it is. My dad bought it.

Keep most of my guns unloaded in the gun cabinet...but also I keep a .243 and 12 guage loaded in my pickup and a .44 loaded on top of the refrigerator

I keep my weapons and ammo in different places. Both are out of reach of small children and easily accessible to me.

SO don't knowbody come messin around my house. :)

All joking aside, I learned at an early age to be very conscieous of a loaded firearm.

Latest posts