Gun safe

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Looks like I am going to have to buy a gun safe. Any sugestions on where is a good place to buy and any pointers on what to look for?
This might be one time that size does matter. :lol2: :lol2:

I cant post pics but I just found some from John Deere. 30 minute fire rating that will hold 25 long guns is $999. 45 minute that holds 45 long guns is $1099. Fancy one with plow scene is $1699.
I am going to look at a 45.

I bought a Browning safe about 10 years ago .
Just make sure you get one large enough . Its amazing how fast you can fill one up.

Watch for Tractor Supply to run their safes on sale; they carry Cannon and Winchester ( i think it's Winchester). Every couple of months, they'll knock a couple of hundred off the regular price AND run 0% interest for a year if you want to use their money for nothing. The Cannon's are really nice with an electrical outlet already set up for your GoldenRod or whatever kind of dehumidifer you use.

Get the biggest one you can; as previously stated, they fill up fast. :D

WORANCH":m5q1eitl said:
I bought a Browning safe about 10 years ago .
Just make sure you get one large enough . Its amazing how fast you can fill one up.
Same here. Good ratings and heavy as he77. Holds all my guns and all my cash. (300 rolls of pennies) :cowboy:

I bought an American Security about 8 years ago and have been very happy with it. I'm sure a google will get you a dealer to look at them if you wish to. At that time it was just under $1000, but it's a little deeper safe than some, up to 24 long rifles. The big thing for me was size and BTU. Mine is in a closet, but it is a deeper closet so with some measurements I found the good fit. My point is I went deeper rather than taller so I could store things on top and my wife can reach them. It weighs a little over 500 lbs and is bolted through the flooring, so it sells with the house. The biggest selling point was the BTU rating, as TB mention, mine is also a safe deposit box, I have all my important paper work in it, birth certs, marriage cert, tax records, will, family history and old and new photos, ect. According to the rating on the inside of the door the safe was tested at 1275 degrees F for 30 minutes and interior temp never went above 350 degrees F ..... I hope I never have to find out. For my self I like a number pad to open it rather than a dial.

I hope this helps, I tend to rattle on a bit.

Alan

Huge is right. Everyone is going to want to stick everything in there. You too.

Save those desiccant packs that come with package merchandise. Put them in there.

it wont hold the number of long guns it says no matter how ya stack em...scopes/mags/slings..they dont fit like a basic iron sight shotgun will. anything tactical will use up 2/3 spots

kenny thomas":2d0i7ft5 said:
Looks like I am going to have to buy a gun safe. Any sugestions on where is a good place to buy and any pointers on what to look for?
This might be one time that size does matter. :lol2: :lol2:

I have a Browning and Liberty . Your looking at the ten minute rule and fire rating.
Most thieves want to be in and out in 15 minutes or less, if the locking system or doors would take longer than 10 minutes to peel your pretty safe. Anybody can steal anything if they have long enough.
Ninety percent of Texas inmates are in for drug related crimes from murder down. Most stuff stolen here is grab and run.
The best security system you can buy is camera's. I have a couple that watch the house they can steal the camera and i still have the photo. http://www.trailcampro.com/spypointtinywireless.aspx

As db said they dOnt account for scopes on thier numbers . I've got a 24 but it only holds 16 or so with about 8 of those having scopes . Mine is a century . The only problem with mine is it's to short . I have a couple shot guns I inherited with 30 inch barrels and I have to lean them over to be able to keep the shelf for the hand guns in place .

I bought a Liberty 20+ long gun safe at Christmas time on Sale at Home Depo. I can't move it. The next year I bought another of the same also on sale because the one wouldn't hold everything. One now holds my long guns and the other holds the pistols and my personal records and valuables. I also keep all my keys in it except for my daily keys.

I bought one from Cabela's. I could have bought the same Cannon safe at Tractor Supply for $200 less. Buy a big one. I filled mine up within 2 years. I guess I am done buying guns.

I helped a friend of mine build a house back in 95 and after the slab was poured we built a 12x12 cement room.Walls and ceiling are one ft thick cement with 3/4 in rebar.And the door is from an old bank vault and it weighs 1500lbs.

Cal

Calman":19fks861 said:
I helped a friend of mine build a house back in 95 and after the slab was poured we built a 12x12 cement room.Walls and ceiling are one ft thick cement with 3/4 in rebar.And the door is from an old bank vault and it weighs 1500lbs.

Cal

Now thats the best idea I have seen. I just gotta built a new house.

The fun part was fitting the door. Had to use a crane.and it had to be perfectly straight and level or you could never open it or close it. But we did get door frame and all.

Cal

Watch the measurements. Safes will not always fit in through the door jams, especially if you put it in a closet!

Latest posts