Gun Mildew?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have two gun safes bolted to an outside wall. I have no problems with rusting, but I do get some mildew on the stocks and leather slings. Is wiping them down with bleach based cleaner the best approach?

You must have the metal pretty well wiped down with oil to not have rust. The only thing I know to cause mildew is humidity or moisture. You might try a safe dehumidifier, a container or two of hydrosorbent silica gel, relocate your safe to a drier place or all three. Be careful using bleach on your gun stocks. If you have oil finished stocks, wipe them down with linseed oil. Other finishes spray lysol and wipe down with soft cloth. Hopefully, the mildew is not under the finish!
Bear

What Bear said and also you can buy 6 packs of silicone impregnated gun socks for 4 05 dollars apiece. They are made for just that kind of thing.

Stocker Steve":rnh3slp6 said:
How well does silicon socks protects against mildew - - I always thought they were to prevent rust?

It protects against rust so it must keep the moisture out. My only concern for you is that the mildew is already there and is not going to just cease to exist. I would think that an electronic dessicator is what you might have to go to eventually.

Tell us a bit more about where the gunsafes are located. You say they are bolted to an outside wall but is the outside wall in a basement? Is the safe sitting on a concrete floor or bolted to a concrete wall? If so, getting the safes off the concrete will help. Sometimes as little as a 1" board will make a big difference. The board helps with air circulation.

Mildew only grows where there is moisture. As others suggest, put something in the safe to control the moisture. It's probably only a matter of time before the rust shows up...

Latest posts