Paint ball gun

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
How else are you gonna mark a sick or lame calf that you can't get to, those type that are the "now you see me, now you don't" type? You can get that animal within a hundred yards with a paint ball gun, without having to actually go in and start chasing at the risk of getting the others you don't want riled up.

Or is this a stupid idea? Lemme know...

Sounds like a stupid idea to me , If you have your calves ear tagged and numbered then you would know which one it is, if you don't you should.

Well, it's just an idea. And you two made some good points. It might work for range cattle, but not for the kind of system that we have.

(hate to put the blame on someone, but it was really my dad's idea in the first place. So I guess... :? )

the reason it doesnt make sense to me is b/c i can tell the difference between all of my cattle and their calves (even without tags). even with an all black angus herd i would be able to. i guess that is a gift i have that not everybody does.

Beefy":2168sj4v said:
the reason it doesnt make sense to me is b/c i can tell the difference between all of my cattle and their calves (even without tags). even with an all black angus herd i would be able to. i guess that is a gift i have that not everybody does.

I have that gift too, only takes me a day or two around the new calves to tell who's who.

Jeeze, now that I think of it, it probably is a stupid idea...

IluvABbeef":134ipi9j said:
Beefy":134ipi9j said:

I have that gift too, only takes me a day or two around the new calves to tell who's who.

Jeeze, now that I think of it, it probably is a stupid idea...

its seems like unnecessary stress to shoot an animal with a paintball gun when you can identify it visually. especially if its obviously lame or something..

I don't think you will get a 100 yard range on a paint balll gun. Maybe 50 yards. I could see how it could be usefull in some situations.

Have you ever been shot with a paintball gun? Depending on your proximity to your target, you could probably stampede the whole herd. Those things hurt!!! Boone

;-) I think it would be usefull in some cases.
I am not sure what they are, but I am going to keep it in mind.

boone":1s8jhfy0 said:
Have you ever been shot with a paintball gun? Depending on your proximity to your target, you could probably stampede the whole herd. Those things hurt!!! Boone

Is it just like getting shot with a BB gun? ;-)

IluvABbeef":1gylv7gz said:
boone":1gylv7gz said:

Not exactly, I shot my wife in the butt with one and it left a purple and black bruise the size of a golf ball. She didn't see the humor in it.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3e1zl9le said:
IluvABbeef":3e1zl9le said:
boone":3e1zl9le said:

Not exactly, I shot my wife in the butt with one and it left a purple and black bruise the size of a golf ball. She didn't see the humor in it.

cfpinz

Cfpinz, How long did you have to sleep on the couch???

cfpinz":g95s0a8i said:
IluvABbeef":g95s0a8i said:
boone":g95s0a8i said:

cfpinz

CF, If you'll throw those paintballs in the freezer for a while before you shoot her, next time you won't get that messy paint everywhere. ;-)

cfpinz":2hey2szm said:
IluvABbeef":2hey2szm said:
boone":2hey2szm said:

cfpinz

Cfpinz, How long did you have to sleep on the couch???

I have been hit in the neck with a paint ball, it wasn't fun.

I have thought of that as an idea as well before, so it's not stupid. I think there would be applications for it is certain instances, but if your cattle all had a good visible hip brand, I think you would be much better off.

Well, it's good for the new calves that we get. When they're milling around, and I ain't familiar with them (especially if there's a number of calves that are the same color), the one I spot that's showing symptoms that he ain't feelin well, he's gonna get marked. I haven't spotted any brands on the calves we get (we had one, but that was over a year ago), so they're just tagged, only id to lean on besides hide markings.

And you know, weaned calves new to you and new to the farm aren't gonna stand around and stare at you like they do when their older, they're gonna take on look at you and high-tail it for the farthest corner of the corral, bawling for their mamma, giving you no chance to have a proper look at their eartag number.

But when they're bigger and more comfy around you, then that's where we can see that the paint ball gun isn't needed as much.

Yeah, and I don't aim to use it on any twolegged animal! ;-) That wouldn't be too great. :lol:

I'm still curious though, how many of you still think it's a dumb idea?

I have two, maybe stupid, questions. Is there anything in the paint that would hurt calf or mama when they lick it, and about how long could one expect the paint to stay on?

Latest posts